Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Inexpensive Wart Chiller Pump Idea to Share

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
Well, when you come busting into a thread specifically about using pumps for open bath recirculation, and then brag about your chill times using a second IC as a pre-chiller when presumably using a garden hose as the input, what did you expect?

You could get even better performance by applying some of the techniques in this thread. It would require another pump like those discussed here, though.

Without adding a pump, your way is the preferred method. However, the pre-chiller doesn't increase performance much until the wort temp is within ~30F of tap temps. Up to that point when flow rates are high, it just uses up ice without really making any meaningful change to the water temps. If ice usage matters, leaving the pre-chiller out of the ice bath until needed will save your ice for when it is needed.

Here is a post with pictures and graphs-
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/inex...ml#post3344808
LOL @ "busting into a thread....bragging about chill times" I actually was thinking that my chill times were slow compared to some of the ones I've read on this thread.

Appreciate the tip on leaving the prechiller out until the temp drops somewhat. I do think you read into my post a bit too much though, as it was merely intended to share my method in case others had an extra IC and no sump pump to try this idea.

A thread is just a public discussion about a general topic. I shouldn't have to approach it like a native american burial ground IMHO. Trying my best to contribute around here, that's all.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #72
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
A thread is just a public discussion about a general topic. I shouldn't have to approach it like a native american burial ground IMHO.
You are right, you shouldn't. I assume the same goes for others?
There are some general guidelines, though. Like trying to stay on topic.
If you aren't happy with your chill times and have warm tap water, the open ice bath really helps. The pump needs to be strong/fast enough to get a reasonable flow through your chiller. Some have found the cheaper pumps have insufficient flow at the head pressures required to push through even a 25ft IC.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #73
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
You are right, you shouldn't. I assume the same goes for others?
There are some general guidelines, though. Like trying to stay on topic.
If you aren't happy with your chill times and have warm tap water, the open ice bath really helps. The pump needs to be strong/fast enough to get a reasonable flow through your chiller. Some have found the cheaper pumps have insufficient flow at the head pressures required to push through even a 25ft IC.
Of course it does. Forgive me for straying. There are an awful lot of chilling discussions on this beginner forum, and they tend to bleed into each others' domains. Apologies to the OP if I've been unhelpful.

I have every intention of buying a sump pump today though and trying this when I brew on sunday. Much of what you've said has been helpful to that end, so

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #74
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I have every intention of buying a sump pump today though and trying this when I brew on sunday.
Straying a bit, but some pumps can be repurposed for use in a keg/carboy washer. The pump is about 90% of the cost of a DIY keg washer. This might help when trying to rationalize buying a bigger pump. Something that can produce around 3 gal/min at 10psi (25' head) is in the ballpark. A keg washer thread will have better info. Careful with pump specs, most list max flow at 0' head, and max head at 0 gal/min.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #75
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey everyone I figured I'd post back and let everyone know that I tried this about 2 weeks ago using my 25ft copper chiller. This pump doesn't have a crazy amount of flow after going through all that tubing and copper, but it's enough. In retrospect a higher capacity pump would work even better.

Anyway, we had 3 kettles going that day so I couldn't use the garden hose to draw off some of the initial heat because someone else needed it. What I did was fill a cooler with about 5 frozen 2 liter bottles and a bunch of ice about 20 minutes before flame out. I connected the outlet tube of the wort chiller to the discharge side of the pump and stuck the inlet side of the chiller in the cooler.

I didn't time it but this method worked MUCH faster than just using water from the faucet. Unfortunately though, the amount of ice I had only lasted long enough for a single wort cool down because I was dumping that super hot initial water back into the cooler at the opposite side of the pump.

But this worked really well and I will probably do this from now on. Next time I will time it.

Quick Reply