*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Inexpensive Wart Chiller Pump Idea to Share

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #61
el_horno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Can you post the link to where you bought this? cant read the image.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #62
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_horno View Post
Can you post the link to where you bought this? cant read the image.
Here you go. I just picked one up and it's a large sucker. I like that it has interchangeable hose barbs though. I could use it for stuff other than my immersion chiller. It was hard to find in the store, they had it on a shelf under their large air compressor display, easy to miss.

They make one that has a 620gph flow rate as well but it is a bit expensive. Print yourself one of their 20% off coupons too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph...ump-68395.html

Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #63
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
I think you just built yourself a hopback without the hop portion. This setup is also used to circulate beer around in the mash tun if you worry about such things (which you shouldn't IMHO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemet View Post
I will however take this idea and add it into my project bank. I do want to recirculate wort eventually on the cheap scale.
This set up in no way resembles a hop back, and these pumps are not suitable for handling wort. I doubt it will handle even mash temps without damage, and even if it could, it just isn't a good idea. Post boil chilled wort is definitely out of the question.

If you don't care about any of the reasons not to use these pumps for wort, you might as well use a washing machine for your mash tun. There is a video of a guy who converted one. Nice piece of redneck engineering.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #64
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchenstrasse_Brewer View Post
Sure isn't that the point though pre-pitch?
It's a reference to HSA I believe. (edit) Which I don't believe in.

I put my IC in 10-15minutes before flameout along with with my whirfloc and yeast nutrient to sanitize it. At the same time I recirc the wort with my pump and place the hose so that the wort is recirculated in the opposite direction as the IC water flows. Voila, counterflow chiller.

Also, I use a prechiller setup with a 2nd IC in a bucket filled with ice water. When I'm trying to get those last stubborn 25 degrees to come off I dial the flow back so the prechiller can do it's thing creating a greater delta between the wort and the cooling water.

All in all I chill down to 80f in SoCal summer weather in about 20-25 minutes, then down to about 70f in another 15 minutes. When it's time to transfer, I just move the recirc tube from the kettle to the fermenter.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #65
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
It's a reference to HSA I believe. (edit) Which I don't believe in.
Both sides of the HSA issue were already discussed. It is real, whether you believe in it, or not.

Quote:
At the same time I recirc the wort with my pump and place the hose so that the wort is recirculated in the opposite direction as the IC water flows. Voila, counterflow chiller.
Closer to a 'shell and tube' than a CFC, but a tradeoff I am also willing to make to not have to worry about the insides of a 50ft tube, or 20+ stacked plates.

Quote:
Also, I use a prechiller setup with a 2nd IC in a bucket filled with ice water. When I'm trying to get those last stubborn 25 degrees to come off I dial the flow back so the prechiller can do it's thing creating a greater delta between the wort and the cooling water.
You have missed the whole point of this thread. You will get much better performance from chilling with straight tap to ~20F of tap water, then switch to an open ice bath recirc using a pump at as fast a flow as you can afford. Waiting to recirc the ice bath (replenish with tap water instead) until the outflow is colder than tap will save on ice usage.

Quote:
All in all I chill down to 80f in SoCal summer weather in about 20-25 minutes, then down to about 70f in another 15 minutes. When it's time to transfer, I just move the recirc tube from the kettle to the fermenter.
Mr. Malty has had a 'how to' on his whirlpool chiller out for some time. It brings up another topic some consider a myth- product shear. I have plans to make a mechanical agitator to avoid 30 min of running my wort through a 3500rpm blender. Mainly to get a better whirlpool post chill, but if I can eliminate shear at the same time, why not.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #66
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Nice build. I've been holding back on a plate chiller because of the cost and they seem like they can be a pain. I'll do this instead with my IC.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #67
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, I hooked up the pump last night to my 25ft copper immersion chiller and I'm a little disappointed with the flow rate. Disconnected from the chiller the pump puts out a pretty impressive amount of water, but after going through all that tubing it loses quite a bit of it's oomph. If circulating ice water it may still be acceptable.

I imagine the larger 600+ gph unit would work quite a bit better.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #68
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just bought the same pump and a stainless steel immersion chiller. Can't wait to brew my next batch!

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #69
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Edit, fuggetaboutit. I need to get used to people picking apart everything a stranger says on the internet, I think that's why Al Gore invented it.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #70
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Edit, fuggetaboutit. I need to get used to people picking apart everything a stranger says on the internet, I think that's why Al Gore invented it.
Well, when you come busting into a thread specifically about using pumps for open bath recirculation, and then brag about your chill times using a second IC as a pre-chiller when presumably using a garden hose as the input, what did you expect?

You could get even better performance by applying some of the techniques in this thread. It would require another pump like those discussed here, though.

Without adding a pump, your way is the preferred method. However, the pre-chiller doesn't increase performance much until the wort temp is within ~30F of tap temps. Up to that point when flow rates are high, it just uses up ice without really making any meaningful change to the water temps. If ice usage matters, leaving the pre-chiller out of the ice bath until needed will save your ice for when it is needed.

Here is a post with pictures and graphs-
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/inex...ml#post3344808

Quick Reply