Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Inexpensive Wart Chiller Pump Idea to Share

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #51
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dover157 View Post
Um...... why? Is there really a reason to sanitize the inside of the chiller?
Sanitize was perhaps the incorrect term. But, lets be reasonable. Its darn near impossible to clean the inside of the chiller. On brew day I always mix up 2.5 gals of starsan to sanitize my parts. It goes down the sink after the fermenter is in the chamber. No harm in sending it into the sink via the chiller, since the pump is already hooked up and all...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #52
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Sanitize was perhaps the incorrect term. But, lets be reasonable. Its darn near impossible to clean the inside of the chiller. On brew day I always mix up 2.5 gals of starsan to sanitize my parts. It goes down the sink after the fermenter is in the chamber. No harm in sending it into the sink via the chiller, since the pump is already hooked up and all...
I think he was wondering why bother to clean the inside of an immersion chiller at all.
Plain water and draining it is probably best. Starsan doesn't permanently sanitize. After it is neutralized, I believe it becomes a nutrient of sorts for some critters. If any pools inside the chiller and can't evaporate, Starsan may promote funky growth inside the chiller more than plain water would.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #53
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Not sure I agree. Star-San is super acidic and would love to chew on your delightfully copper IC from the inside out. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, or at the least, some pinholes or bad corrosion.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #54
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Not sure I agree. Star-San is super acidic and would love to chew on your delightfully copper IC from the inside out. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, or at the least, some pinholes or bad corrosion.
Thats kind of what I was thinking, now an immersion chiller is a dif story from what ive read, but I have never used either so I have no credit here lol.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #55
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Can't remember whether it was Starsan or PBW, or both, that are bad for copper. I don't really care to find out either, since I don't own any copper. I don't understand why anyone buys new copper IC or CFC either, since stainless is now cheaper than copper, and the thin walled SS is as good or better than thick walled copper at heat transfer.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #56
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

OK, OK I give up. No starsan. If little green kritters come crawling out of my IC I'm gonna blame you all, though

Reason: shpelling

Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #57
Exbeerienced
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a 10 gallon chill using an immersion chiller, garden hose, and circulating ice. 22 minutes in, I switched to the ice and pump, as described in this thread. Works like a charm.

My pump:

In the pail:

Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #58
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Question on hose attachments for some of these pumps without screw hose attachments - if the outlet is just a plastic tube, say 1/2 inch, how do you attach it to teh pump, and to the chiller?

Do you just by some 1/2 tubing and force it on the pump outlet tube, and then use a 1/2 barb - garden hose output?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to say I'm glad I found it. I've been looking all over for a cheap 120v submersion pump and this looks promising. That pump is now $14.99 but Harbor Freight has a 20% off coupon this month. Going to swing over to HF on my lunch break and grab one.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
I think you just built yourself a hopback without the hop portion. This setup is also used to circulate beer around in the mash tun if you worry about such things (which you shouldn't IMHO).
Alot of ideas can spawn from this little setup. I dont waste alot of water at my home- ie: I dont run any water on the lawn all summer long- because its a waste. My kids and wife dont care that its not tropical green- and I dont because its such a waste. So I dont mind wasting a little water when brewing.

I will however take this idea and add it into my project bank. I do want to recirculate wort eventually on the cheap scale.

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Quick Reply