Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Inexpensive Wart Chiller Pump Idea to Share

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #41
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I dump the ice bin into bags until I have a shelf full of ice at the ready. When it comes time to chill I drop the pot into a sink full of ice/water then cycle ice water through the chiller. Cools things down in no time with little more than a sink full of water wasted. Usually the same water I did the starsan treatment with so call it recycling.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchenstrasse_Brewer

Sure isn't that the point though pre-pitch?
When the wort is cool eniugh, yes.

What he's referring to is hot-side aeration, the idea being that when wort is above a certain temperature (about 80 degrees), oxygen introduced into it will undergo reactions and bind to compounds in the wort that will eventually lead to long-term flavor stability/oxidative problems.

Some (many) brewers see it as little more than a myth/brewing boogeyman, but there is definite merit to the idea, and the arguments this group of brewers put forth tend to always be based on wild conjecture, logical fallacies, and serious misunderstandings of the concept and/or the science itself. So I ultimately view it as something that should definitely be taken fairly seriously, and avoided when possible.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #43
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfake View Post
But doesn't that introduce oxygen if the temp is > 80F?
Another "hot side aeration" comment from the peanut gallery. "Food safe", "introduce infection", and "liquid is better than dry yeast" can't be far behind.

HSA fact or fiction aside, I didn't say to agitate the wort with a 2000psi stream of 500F oxygen. A common method is to stir the wort occasionally, or, if you are pump enabled, recirc the wort while chilling. The increase in heat transfer is very substantial.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #44
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Some (many) brewers see it as little more than a myth/brewing boogeyman, but there is definite merit to the idea, and the arguments this group of brewers put forth tend to always be based on wild conjecture, logical fallacies, and serious misunderstandings of the concept and/or the science itself. So I ultimately view it as something that should definitely be taken fairly seriously, and avoided when possible.
I think a big source of the HSA myth was one of the brew webcast shows that had a scientist on talking about HSA. He downplayed HSA saying that many other things, like storage temps, have a much greater impact and should be corrected first. Many in the listening audience took this to mean HSA was a myth, even though he stated it was real, just less important than other things for long term stability.

Another source of the HSA myth is a practice that a major European brewer of American pilsner (Budweiser) uses where they blast air through a cascading wall of hot wort, or something of that sort.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #45
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I fill the excess space in my chest freezer with old half gallon milk jugs filled with water. I plan to use those to chill the water I circulate through my future wort chiller, when I can't cycle my pool water. This thread has been great it encouraged me to pursue this idea.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #46
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
I fill the excess space in my chest freezer with old half gallon milk jugs filled with water. I plan to use those to chill the water I circulate through my future wort chiller, when I can't cycle my pool water. This thread has been great it encouraged me to pursue this idea.
Chilled water has much less thermal potential than ice. It is probably on the order of 5-10 times as much (without consulting any real info). As long as your pool is the same or colder than tap, there is no reason not to use it until a recirc ice bath is needed for the latter portion of the chill.

Filling extra space with jugs will help a keezer stabilize temps, though.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #47
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 158

And the jugs become reusable ice for my icebath and chilled water

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #48
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Also, the pump will allow me to run sanitizer through the chiller after I'm done with it.

Um...... why? Is there really a reason to sanitize the inside of the chiller?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #49
jeffd10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Love the Pump... HF here I come !!!!

Primary 1: Shooting Range IPA
Primary 2: Checkered Pilsner
Primary 3: Marris Pale Ale

Tapped 1: RyeIPA
Tapped 2: Englishman in New York (Stout)

Sunnyside Ave Brewery

“ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. ”

— Czech Proverb

Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #50
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
And the jugs become reusable ice for my icebath and chilled water
My bad. When you said you were putting the jugs in your "chest freezer", I assumed it was a keezer and they would only be chilled water.
If left sealed up, the frozen jugs won't work well for chilling due to heat transfer issues. The ice has to melt to do its job. 2 liter soda bottles with the top cut off make decent reuseable ice molds.

Using tap (or pool) water for the initial part of the chill works best, since the added temp differential provided by ice water doesn't do much when the wort is above 100F. After that, recircing into an ice bath is beneficial. To use the ice most effeciently, the ice bath chiller exhaust should not be recirc'd until it is colder than tap. Until that point, it is best to recharge the ice bath with tap water if needed.

Quick Reply