Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The inevitable "Did I screw up me beer" post

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Mr. Awesome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The inevitable "Did I screw up me beer" post

I'm not a beginner, but this was pretty dumb.

I did not have a grain bag when I was brewing today, so instead of steeping in the bag I put the specialty grains in a strainer and held a spatter screen on top while steeping. Inevetably, a few grains spilled out into the wort. I did my best to ladle as much as I could back through the strainer, but some (not many, but certainly some) are stuck in the pot. Can I expect some nastyness, or does it take more than a few grains spilling from a 1 pound steep to ruin a batch of beer.

I'm guessing it was fine, but I was looking for some wisdom of the masses here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Obviously you want to avoid boiling the grains so hopefully there isn't a ton in there, which it sounds like there isn't, and they will just settle to the bottom of the fermenter (or get strained out) so I would think you'll be just fine.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The masses are speaking and they say RDWHAHB!

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
The masses are speaking and they say RDWHAHB!
Yeah, what he said.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
I'm not a beginner, but this was pretty dumb.

I did not have a grain bag when I was brewing today, so instead of steeping in the bag I put the specialty grains in a strainer and held a spatter screen on top while steeping. Inevetably, a few grains spilled out into the wort. I did my best to ladle as much as I could back through the strainer, but some (not many, but certainly some) are stuck in the pot. Can I expect some nastyness, or does it take more than a few grains spilling from a 1 pound steep to ruin a batch of beer.

I'm guessing it was fine, but I was looking for some wisdom of the masses here.
This is actually the method that Papazian suggests for steeping grains. Granted his book (The Joy of Homebrewing) is a bit dated, it will still show you how to make good beer. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the main concern would be the leeching of tannins from the grains by soaking them in a dilute solution. It doesn't seem like a few grains could contribute much for tannins.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You can use almost anything for a steeping bag. I use a nylon "Delicates" bag designed for washing ladies undergarments in the washing machine. It doesn't stain, cleans up easily and lets the water flow through it very well. In a pinch you could us a T shirt and tie it up.

Quick Reply