Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Increase ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
captflyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Increase ABV

I'm new to homebrewing so please ignore my ignorance. I'll be making the all grain version of "Moose Drool" over the next few days. I'm using the recipe out of "Clone Brew" book.

the ABV in the recipe is 5.3%. How can I, or what do I need to add to increase the alcohol by volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by captflyer View Post
I'm new to homebrewing so please ignore my ignorance. I'll be making the all grain version of "Moose Drool" over the next few days. I'm using the recipe out of "Clone Brew" book.

the ABV in the recipe is 5.3%. How can I, or what do I need to add to increase the alcohol by volume.
Add sugar... sucrose, maltose, dextrose, etc.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Increase extract. Use more malt and/or boil longer to concentrate the extract from the malt you have. This is the best way to increase ABV as you maintain balance. If all you are after is alcohol (the beer will be thin, dry, lack mouthfeel and malt character) then convert at low temperature (145 °F) so the extract is highly fermentable, supplement with sugars, honey etc. and use a highly attenuative yeast strain.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

You can add more fermentables to increase the ABV, but it may throw the taste out of balance. A good beer is all about balance of flavors, not just higher ABV.

Since you are new to brewing I would recommend brewing it as is, or if you want a higher ABV brew then pick a recipe that is formulated for that.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captflyer View Post

One of the easiest ways to increase alcohol would be to mash at a lower temperature.

Remember MALT

M=more A=alcohol L=lower T=temperature

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Increasing the ABV will affect the flavor profile and mouthfeel of the beer - the bigger the change, the bigger the difference. I would suggest brewing this beer according to the recipe.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 317 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I know nobody is going to convince you otherwise, and you're still going to bump up the ABV on this one. But please listen to me - make a starter. It's ridiculously easy (and kinda fun), and you just need to plan a day or two in advance.

Everyone tells us new brewers to make a starter, and you think "nah, the yeast will be fine, screw it". But seriously when bumping up your OG, do it - you'll be happy you did!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bump your base malt up a pound or two and increase your bittering hops maybe 10%. Or you could just brew a bigger batch.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 37

howtobrew.com

Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
You can add more fermentables to increase the ABV, but it may throw the taste out of balance. A good beer is all about balance of flavors, not just higher ABV.

Since you are new to brewing I would recommend brewing it as is, or if you want a higher ABV brew then pick a recipe that is formulated for that.
+100000000

If you're picking a recipe - especially your first recipe - out of abook of clone recipes, why on Earth would you want to change it in any way? Kinda defeats the purpose of picking a clone brew in the first place!

Quick Reply