New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Inconsistent Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
spage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Inconsistent Carbonation

Hi All,

I have about 30 batches behind me and thought I had my procedures down - until now. In December I brewed a huge Scotch ale, about 1.102 OG. It finished at around 10%ABV and I bulk aged for 3 months. I then bottled, making sure to scrape up some of the yeast, and the beer has been in bottles for almost 3 months now. I have had in the last month:

5 bottles - no carb at all
1 bottle - PERFECT carbonation
1 bottle - explode

When bottling, I boiled about 20oz of water and dissolved 3/4 cup of priming sugar in the boiling water. I dumped this into the bottling bucket and racked on top of it.

Has anyone else had issues with priming when using this procedure? Is there a chance it just didn't mix? I know for sure the sugar was dissolved in the boiling water.

Thanks,

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

This is interesting, as what you did is my procedure as well. Sugar in bottling bucket, then quietly rack on top of it... I got nothing. Anyone? I'm interested as well.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm thinking the priming sugar still didn't get mixed in properly. I rack onto mine, but then I give in a gentle stir before and once or twice during bottling just to make sure it stays mixed in.

You also will want to look at getting a scale to measure out your priming sugar. Sugar can be packed differently so 3/4 cup on one day might be more or less sugar than another day. Weight always stays the same.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply