New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Importance of yeast pitch temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
rupertderek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Importance of yeast pitch temp?

I am worried that I pitched the yeast too soon into my wort. I pitched the yeast in when my wort was about 85-90F. Will it delay fermentation? Ruin the batch? How important is it to wait till the wort is down to 75F?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If anything, warm pitching speeds up fermentation. Bakers routinely proof yeast in 110F water so it takes off quickly.

The reason brewers pitch cool is that very active yeast at warm temperatures produce off flavors, which are not a concern for bakers. The agressive yeast flavors in bread are highly desireable, but bread only ferments for a few hours. Over 3 days, flavors start to turn funky.

You will likely be just fine. See if you can detect off flavors in the final beer. I bet you can't.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103 View Post
You will likely be just fine. See if you can detect off flavors in the final beer. I bet you can't.
My money is on fusels and unexplained headaches.

It all depends on how quickly you got the temperature down to below 70 F. I'm assuming it is a standard American or English ale yeast, and not a Belgian.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
rupertderek
Recipes 

I am brewing a english brown ale using Muntons premium gold yeast. After pitching the yeast I sealed the fermenter and placed it in storage. So it cooled down rather slowly through the night and is now at about 60F.

Quick Reply