*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > an imperial oktoberfest - my first lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
txtaquito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default an imperial oktoberfest - my first lager

I got a recipe kit for an imperial oktoberfest but Ive never lagered a beer before. I just acquired a spare fridge but its old. Ive managed to get the temp to hover around 45 at the lowest but Im still playing with it. When I got my kit, I told the guy I may end up doing this at room temp, carbing in the bottles then refridgerate them in the bottles after the carbing process for a few weeks more but Im just too impatient about that kind of wait. He suggested a kolsch yeast. I got some but this was before I got the fridge. Now that I can do it the right way, is that kolsch yeast ok to ferment refridgerated? If not, I may have to mozy on down and grab an oktoberfest yeast.... This is gonna be a nice sippin oktoberfest - 7.8 ABV and Im kickin it up a notch with another 1lb of DME - another 1.3 ABV

Thanks

TxT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The kolsch yeast won't ferment that cold. It needs at least 65*.

If you want to lager you will need to wait if you want good sippin beer! If you're in a rush you might consider still using the kolsch. The lager probably won't even be fermented for a couple weeks, and then it needs to be conditioned at lager temps for at least a month or two -- with that kind of gravity I would personally lager it for at least 3-4 months, then check it to see if it needs a couple more.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can ferment a kolsch near 62 and be fine, but if you want to try a lager fermentation, get a different yeast. +1 on the lagering suggestion. i'd just go for the kolsch if you want to be drinkin in time for the end of october.,

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Quick Reply