Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The Impatient Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default The Impatient Brewer

So, for lack of a better term I am impatient. When it comes to tasting and brewing etc. I already started my 2 beers an IPA and a Belgian style triple. But lately to fill the gap I have been fermenting apple cider on a 9 day cycle, because I get it to the way I want it in 9 days.

Does anyone have any other things that brew relatively quickly because cider season is almost over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Krane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would just buy some beers from the store. One of the reasons I started brewing was to have more choice, but at the same time there are tons of great beers to enjoy. I have no intention to drink my own products exclusively. I wouldn't overlook brews you can buy in a store to tide you over.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

"Must catch buzz faster!!!"

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I don't brew anything quickly because I know that quick beer usually equal poor beer. Of course there are some beers that you can turn around in a few weeks that are still good, I don't go out of my way to find quick brews.

Stick to planning brews accordingly, or fill the gaps with commercial beer. But don't brew something extremely fast just for the hell of it.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
CnnmnSchnpps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you bottle, the beer will take a while.. Although I have done wheat beers that were very drinkable in 3-4 weeks (2 weeks primary, 2 weeks in bottle). If you can get a keg setup, you can cut that in half by eliminating the bottling stage and force carbing. Aim for lighter/simple beers - lower OG in the 0.04's, no hop bombs, low specialty malt bill

The best advice is to get more fermentation vessels and build up a pipeline so you always have fresh stuff coming ready as you brew new batches for 4-6 weeks down the road.

Brauhaus 2151.

Yes these are bruises from brewing. Yes I'm comfortable with that.

BB1: EdWort's Apfelwein
BB2: IDA2 In the Doghouse Pale Ale

Bottled: IDA In the Doghouse Ale, JSW Citrus Wheat (Yuzu/Kabosu), FTS Oatmeal Stout, J2SW Citrus Wheat (Yuzu/Kabosu
/Shikuwasa), NBA Nut Brown Ale, IDA2 Kona Fire clone, 69IPAs - Nugget, Saaz

Next up:
"69 IPAs" single-hop series - Ahtanum, Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Colombus, Cascade.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowlks View Post
So, for lack of a better term I am impatient. When it comes to tasting and brewing etc. I already started my 2 beers an IPA and a Belgian style triple. But lately to fill the gap I have been fermenting apple cider on a 9 day cycle, because I get it to the way I want it in 9 days.

Does anyone have any other things that brew relatively quickly because cider season is almost over.
These folks are a bunch of cork sniffers. Power to you for making some drink in a hurry.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
These folks are a bunch of cork sniffers. Power to you for making some drink in a hurry.
Yeah! Pour it in a trough! Slop it up though a beer bong!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 19

THe problem arose because I did just start, and I did buy a few extra fermenters, however, everything seems to disappear within 5 days of kegging/bottling.

I should probably stop letting SWMBO dishing it out to everyone.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowlks View Post
THe problem arose because I did just start, and I did buy a few extra fermenters, however, everything seems to disappear within 5 days of kegging/bottling.

I should probably stop letting SWMBO dishing it out to everyone.
Yeah, that'll make it go pretty fast! And even if it's great, chances are not everyone will like it. If they do, they'll keep coming back for more! Sort of lose/lose unless you have plenty of disposable income and are a very giving person.

Low gravity simple styles can turn around pretty quickly, as others have said. I just brewed an English mild from the recipes section that's popular around here. Just bottled so I'm not sure how it turned out yet, but everything has smelled/tasted great thus far, and was ready to bottle at 10 days. Bitters, brown ales, low gravity American pale ales...there are plenty of options.

Happy brewing!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 727 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Build a pipeline and learn patience.

The patience part is kinda tricky - I still sample beers after two or three weeks in the bottle even though I know better. Every single time, I'll taste that same beer after five or six weeks in the bottle and it's liquid gold every time I think " I wasted six of these beers by drinking them when they were undeveloped and crappy!" Someday I'll learn.

Quick Reply