Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > immersion wort chiller question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Time-Travelers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default immersion wort chiller question

We saw a immersion wort chiller in the LBS a few days ago and DH says; I can make that...
So this morning I was sharing what I read on the bb with him (length, diameter, running the chilled water thru the copper coil...) and he said; why not run the wort thru the coil, it'd be quicker...
Hmm, I don't know? Then he went to work.
So, has anyone tried it this way? Are the reasons not to?
Thx,
Linda

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Actually, that is something you can do. It's called a Counterflow chiller. Here is how to make one...

good luck!

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I would think you'd have to pack the ice in ice to cool the wort, otherwise your cooling water would heat up too much.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Wilsons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
I would think you'd have to pack the ice in ice to cool the wort, otherwise your cooling water would heat up too much.
Pack the ice in ice? Is that the ever secret double ice effect?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
tunoffun
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Linda, as said above... a counterflow chiller is essentially that. You're running the wort through the copper and water is flowing the opposite direction (hence counterflow) around it. In this respect, chilling is usually faster, though not necessarily by a huge margin depending on how well you impliment an immersion.

One thing, however - without a counterflow design, running the wort inside the copper as opposed to outside wouldn't change a thing in cooling capacity... all else being equal. Either way you have hot liquid on one side of the copper, cooler liquid on the other. What side each is on doesn't really matter.

Personally I prefer an immersion because it allows me to easily see, with my own eyes, the condition / cleanliness of the surface that contact my wort. So I don't have to guess if it's clean and corrosion free.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsons View Post
Pack the ice in ice? Is that the ever secret double ice effect?
The Vanilla Ice effect.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Agree that whether the wort is inside or outside the chiller will not, of itself, make any difference whatsoever in the chilling rate. And, of course, the downside is that if the inside of the chiller carries the wort, it must be thorougly cleaned and sanitized. All I do with my immersion chiller is rinse it off with the hose and put it away until next time.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Strangebird
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Actually, hold on a second. But you could use this as a very environmentally friendly alternative here. If the copper coil were sitting in an ice bath with salt, you could recirculate the wort until cool and simply add more ice as needed. But the amount of actual water you "waste" should be reduced I would think considerably since it's just the volume to fill up the sink plus ice. Anyone ever measure the amount of water the dump while using an immersion chiller?

I'm in the process of building an immersion chiller myself (have all the parts, just have to assemble it this weekend. But I've been trying to come up with a decent alternative to reduce the amount of water used.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
skinydipper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangebird View Post
Actually, hold on a second. But you could use this as a very environmentally friendly alternative here. If the copper coil were sitting in an ice bath with salt, you could recirculate the wort until cool and simply add more ice as needed. But the amount of actual water you "waste" should be reduced I would think considerably since it's just the volume to fill up the sink plus ice. Anyone ever measure the amount of water the dump while using an immersion chiller?

I'm in the process of building an immersion chiller myself (have all the parts, just have to assemble it this weekend. But I've been trying to come up with a decent alternative to reduce the amount of water used.
Use an ice water bath with a submersible pond pump pumping the icewater through the immersion chiller and back into the ice bath.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Strangebird
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup. That's what I was thinking originally since my brother has a pump I can borrow to test the idea out. But it's from a fish tank. Didn't really want to run wort through that.

Quick Reply