The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Immersion Chilling Question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
whiskey_pickle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Immersion Chilling Question(s)

First off, Thanks for the help and grate advice over the years!....

I have quite a few years experience under me belt with both all-grain and extract brewing and have made some wonderful beers. As I browse through the posts I see a lot of people just plopping their immersion chillers in the wort and turning on the water; no movement of the chiller or water regulation.
As for myself, I have experimented with this for years and have figured out how to get 6.5 gallons of wort down to 65-70 within 10 minutes or less by regulating the water pressure and "whirl-pooling" the chiller. I guess my question is whether or not I should be "moving" the chiller while cooling? I am under the impression that the faster I get the wort to pitching temp the better, yet I have friends and have read on hear that I shouldn't be stirring while cooling.

Any ideas?

If you plant ice you're gonna harvest the wind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always stir my wort when cooling, gets it down to pitching temp A LOT faster that just sitting there staring at it...

Secondary 2: Rye IPA
Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, Habanero IPA
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Toasted Blonde, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Sounds fine. I don't like leaving my lid off of the beer between 65F-170F, as this range is pretty vulnerable to infection. That's probably unnecessary, but I've got a pump set up so I can whirlpool with the lid on.

Quick Reply