Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Immersion Chiller Sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
zfite731
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Immersion Chiller Sanitation

Question... If i am going to use an immersion chiller to cool my wort after the boil, I am assuming that the entire copper tubing must be sanitized before dropping it into the wort? What is the best way to make sure that it is completely sanitized? Do you spray it? Drop it in another large bucket/kettle with sanitizer?

I still have a lot to learn from you veterans!

Thanks in advance.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have never sanitized my immersion chiller, I simply set it in the boil appx 5 mins before flame out, this sanitizes it.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always just let it soak in my sanitizer bucket until i need it. I use like a 3-5 gallon bucket and just soak anything i need sanitized.

I was home with my brother brewing a Farmhouse Ale this weekend and he wanted to drop his chiller in the boil for the last 5 minutes to sanitize it rather than just soak it in sanitizer.

Turns out the vinyl tubing couldn't stand the heat conducted by the copper pipe. The tubing expanded and got really really soft. When we hit the water to chill it, the tubing had gotten so soft due to the heat, the tubing leak hose water in the the beer.

I will never again drop a chiller in the boil, just let that baby soak in the sanitizer until you need it. I have a spray bottle to get the nooks and crannies but splashing it around would probably do the same

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

There is no need to sanitize it - the boiling wort does that for you.

Just clean it thoroughly before you use it, and make sure that it is fully rinsed. Drop it in your wort with fifteen minutes left in the boil, and you are golden.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
I have always just let it soak in my sanitizer bucket until i need it. I use like a 3-5 gallon bucket and just soak anything i need sanitized.

I was home with my brother brewing a Farmhouse Ale this weekend and he wanted to drop his chiller in the boil for the last 5 minutes to sanitize it rather than just soak it in sanitizer.

Turns out the vinyl tubing couldn't stand the heat conducted by the copper pipe. The tubing expanded and got really really soft. When we hit the water to chill it, the tubing had gotten so soft due to the heat, the tubing leak hose water in the the beer.

I will never again drop a chiller in the boil, just let that baby soak in the sanitizer until you need it. I have a spray bottle to get the nooks and crannies but splashing it around would probably do the same
The chiller should have been made with different tubing. Do a search on this, boiling is by far the most common method of sanitizing a copper immersion chiller.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You don't need 15 minutes. You need about a minute at boiling to pasteurize the chiller. It doesn't hurt to do it with 15 minutes remaining. Just get it in there near the end of the boil between those last hop additions and all that extract.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
zfite731
Recipes 

Great help guys! Thanks.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I bought a piece of radiator hose from a parts store for the outgoing tubing on my chiller, no issues with that whatsoever, it's obviously made to withstand high temps.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Boiling with all that copper tubing doesn't impart some metallic flavors? Is a stainless steel Ic better? I'm sure it doesn't matter, since everyone does it, but just wondering...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
jphebbie2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Copper conducts heat much much better than SS does thus it is much better for use as a heat exchanger. It doesn't impart any flavor to the beer. It is the same copper that's used in household plumbing

On Tap: - dry stout on nitro
- barrel aged flanders red
- Rye pale ale
- dry cider
- pumkin ale
aging: - bourbon barrel RIS

Quick Reply