Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm ready to enter your magical world

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
kyled
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm ready to enter your magical world

I have had a home brewing kit for a few years (actually a Christmas gift for my dad that he was too afraid to use) and I have never used it.

I have made wine with my in laws recently and decided it's time to give beer a shot. I'm not sure what about 80% of the terms I see here mean so any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to make the pumpkin Mead in a pumpkin I saw here tomorrow night. I figure it's a good bridge between wine and beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The stickies in the beginner forum are a great place to start. Also check out howtobrew.com which is an online (albeit slightly outdated) copy of a book written by a respected member of the homebrewing community. Further, you can check out The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

What kind of home brewing kit?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Welcome! My only immediate concern for you is that if the ingredients are "a few years" old you may not have the greatest results...not because u did something wrong, but because your ingredients are stale. At a bare minimum, I would order fresh yeast. Have fun & keep us posted!

"I never met a beer I didn't like....well, except Woodchuck!"

Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
kyled
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFreak
Welcome! My only immediate concern for you is that if the ingredients are "a few years" old you may not have the greatest results...not because u did something wrong, but because your ingredients are stale. At a bare minimum, I would order fresh yeast. Have fun & keep us posted!
The kit didn't include any ingredients, only 2 5 gallon buckets, hoses, a syphon and a capper.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

heh heh, "Magical World" reminds me of Badrinath's comment in Beerfest:

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
mclugnut
Recipes 

Go to one of the mail order suppliers and read through the extract kits and find one you think you'd like and go for it. Tons of info on this site and good podcasts can be viewed at Basic Brewing, and Brewing TV will make you more comfortable with the process.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather...to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow, what a ride!" Author: Unknown

Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, you're probably going to need/want a few more things to make your kit truly functional for brewing and fermenting beer. Other things will make it far easier and pleasant. I don't think any of us are able to give you a simple, easy answer to your question other than just learn for yourself.

The resources above will help, but thought I'd toss in Palmer's book "How To Brew." It was my preferred reference when learning to brew and provided me an easy to grasp foundation that grew with me as I was learning. I read that, cover to cover...probably twice...before I bought a single thing or brewed my first batch. But that's how I roll. I also read Papazian's book. I've been brewing for over three years and I still occasionally refer to both, so they're good investments.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1882 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

Glad to hear you are thinking about brewing. A lot of great advice already given, I'm late to the party as usual. Best advice I can give (which has already been said) read some from Papazian and Palmer, they are homebrewing legends. Start with them. Some of the info provided is a little outdated in regards to yeast but everything else is spot on.

Sounds like you have the basic equipment set up. Now school up. It will pay off in many ways. I got to admit one thing that bugs the crap out of me is when new brewers come on here with zero time spent educating themselves in homebrewing. (Don't worry, I'm not thinking you fall into that category.. not at all)

Brewing is not hard but does come with some terms, a fellow ought to know the basics before starting. That doesn't take a lifetime of study. A few hours reading CP and JP will be rewarded by good beer. Then you can spend a lifetime making it perfect!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
kyled
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My wife seems opposed to it til we get into our new place after January 1st, is there a book on that?

Quick Reply