Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Im not going to screw this one up!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Im not going to screw this one up!

I am on my 5th batch this one is a brown ale. I started fermenting then noticed it got up to 75 degrees while I was work ! I thew it in bucket of ice water and wrapped a cold wet towel around my baby and threw a fan on it. it was at that temp for a day tops! Now three days later it's at a peaceful 68. The air lock was bubbling nicely and has almost ceased now. (I know revvy not to go by that) here's my questions
1) I assume I'm at a nice temp now.
2) I don't have kegging access yet and want to know the best way to clean and sanitize my bottles.
3) i have never done a brown ale what's the best thing to use for a priming sugar.
4) can I add honey to the fermentor (I rarely ever use a secondary) or add honey to a brown ale at all
5) am I doing anything right at all? My og was 1.052. I think that's about right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

2) Get your bottle brush and scrub the bottles then throw in the dishwasher with NO SOAP and hi-heat and/or heat dry.

The heat pasteurizes the bottles and you can rack right into them.

3) Corn sugar is the only priming sugar I've ever used. I don't think that changes per style.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I forgot to add RDWHAHB

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Just prime with dextrose,or maybe demerara sugar (raw cane sugar that tastes of light brown sugar & honey). That should be great in a brown ale. If your bottles are already rinsed out clean & dry,you can pour some star-san solution in them for 30seconds or so. Then pour it into the next ones,doing a few at a time.
But,for ease & speed,get a bottle tree & vinator. They'll make your life way easier.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I feel for ya - I'm a second time beginner, since it's gotten so much better than when I last brewed in the eighties.

I'm running wet t shirts and a fan in a one inch deep water tray on my fermenters - the skin reads 72, so I'm hoping it's not that much different inside the carboy.

When I tried to take my first batch from a shocking 85 degrees using your techniques I caused stuck fermentation, and never did unstick it. Batch one, status questionable, pending.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by normzone
I feel for ya - I'm a second time beginner, since it's gotten so much better than when I last brewed in the eighties.

I'm running wet t shirts and a fan in a one inch deep water tray on my fermenters - the skin reads 72, so I'm hoping it's not that much different inside the carboy.

When I tried to take my first batch from a shocking 85 degrees using your techniques I caused stuck fermentation, and never did unstick it. Batch one, status questionable, pending.
Oh no! I hope I didn't do that!! What to do now! And how would I know it's stuck and how do I unstick it?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Well,if it seems stuck by hydrometer test,than adjust to proper temp,& gently swirl some of the yeast on the bottom back into suspension. I've had that work before.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hopefully you managed to save it. Something like a brown ale may be able to hide any off flavors. I feel your pain though. I'm in the process of designing a fermentation chamber. I have a cream ale on tap that got up to 73 for 2 days. It has some off flavors but isn't as bad as some others I've made that got too hot.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It was still fermenting yesterday at 68 like I said it got to 75 on the first day but I got it down on Saturday and yesterday it was bubbling away it's just slower today.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by normzone View Post
as far as forum knowledge dictates...if it's 72F outside it could be any where around 77-80F inside...some reading: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ly-get-107541/

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Quick Reply