Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm not going to panic. . . but

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Primo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default I'm not going to panic. . . but

Hey guys . . . and Girls (yooper).
Last night a buddy came over to brew at my house, (he likes my gas stove) we brewed a true brew Porter kit. Anyway as we were preparing everything, after having made up a bucket of star san. I decided to switch out the blow off tube for an airlock on my last batch. (brewed on 1/23/11) I use a 1/2 gallon growler 3/4s full of sanitizer and a racking tube for my blow off set up. When I went to remove the tube from the growler I noticed that the tube had popped out of the sanitizer, thusly having not been in an airlock type mode for 4 days of fermentation. OK I kind of panicked a little, I took a hydrometer reading. The og was 1.059 and the brew was now at 1.040. I tasted the sample (just a sip) and it tasted great!
I tried to find a post speaking of this situation but found nothing. NO Im not going to dump it!!!! But I wanted to try to find something telling me if there was anything I should keep my eye out for. Or do you think I'm just worrying needlessly?
BTW when I put the airlock back on it started bubbling away happily and it also had an awesome cap of krausen !!!

Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You're fine. The exiting Co2 kept anything from 'crawling up' your tube and getting to your beer. Feel free to pretend that it never happened.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Bad stuff are really not ninja acrobats, just because your tube came our of the liquid in the blowoff doesn't mean that anything can still get into the fermenter, you STILL have co2 coming out of the hose, that is going to keep stuff from being able to get in.

OK?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Primo Likes This 
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

...but what?!?! Leave it alone and don't worry!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Primo Likes This 
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

you are fine. even though the hose was off, there was CO2 pushing OUT of the hole. If there are no large bugs floating in it, then there is nothing to worry about.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Those were my presumptions Thanks guys I won't worry about watching it for anything. I cant wait to drink it for saint pattys day!!!

Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Quick Reply