Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > im in the middle of an expresso stout ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
decibelz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default im in the middle of an expresso stout ...

This is where in at im almost to the point of the flavoring . See I was going to add instant expresso to the batch. Could I siphon some of the beer out to mix cold to the instant expresso so I don't disturb the cake and add back to the primary or just add the instant expresso mixed with some water to add into a secondary fermenter ? Then siphon the beer from primary to secondary... Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
ChrisJPassarelli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're going to add instant espresso, I'd make it up with water, boil it, and leave it covered to cool. (You can speed that a bit with a water bath in the sink, or something.) Then just pour that into your fermenter gently.

As a sanitation rule-of-thumb, once the wort is cool, you want to avoid taking any of it out and then putting it back in the fermenter with the rest of your batch. Too many chances for contamination! The coffee will diffuse on its own given time, and especially if you're racking it any time soon, that's guaranteed to mix it thoroughly.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
decibelz
Recipes 

Oh and the reason im using instant expresso is well I don't have an expresso machine

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
decibelz
Recipes 

Should I just keep it in the primary and forget the secondary?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would probably just add the powder to the secondary and rack on top of it. My thoughts being that it would mix the same way your priming sugar would.

Unless you are concerned about the powder not dissolving. In that case I would boil some water then as it is cooling, add the powder to the water, then either add it to the secondary or gently into the primary.

Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibelz View Post
Oh and the reason im using instant expresso is well I don't have an expresso machine

Don't need an espresso machine as its better to use cold brewed for beer. Hot water will bring unwanted tannins and oils out of the beans. Lots of posts here on cold brewed coffee, but just mix purified cold water with course ground beans, mix and let sit overnight. Then press with a French press or pour through a coffee filter and add to primary or secondary after primary fermentation is complete. Doesn't take much. 12-16 ounces is plenty b

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
Don't need an espresso machine as its better to use cold brewed for beer. Hot water will bring unwanted tannins and oils out of the beans. Lots of posts here on cold brewed coffee, but just mix purified cold water with course ground beans, mix and let sit overnight. Then press with a French press or pour through a coffee filter and add to primary or secondary after primary fermentation is complete. Doesn't take much. 12-16 ounces is plenty b
+1 It's quality in quality out. I am a coffee snob as well as a beer snob. I would get some Illy Espresso beans. Get a grinder, I don't like the bladed ones but it would work to in a pinch. Grind it yourself fresh and cold brew as the previous poster mentioned. As a plus the french press will make you awesome coffee. You want fresh coffee for a fresh beer.

Cheers

Quick Reply