Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm making an all grain beer...fun!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

Keither this thread is a pleasure to read! Love your postitive attitude and the hard work you put into this brew. And a cooler for a MLT is a great idea. A heck of a lot easier than BIABGSSPOTSWLOLPASAABGM!

Best of luck and happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Yeast are our friends and they want us to be happy.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hope your first AG turns out good. I just did my first AG last night too, also a stovetop mini-batch effort - see writeup on my blog

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, that's about how mine went, except the bag, which sounds like a good idea, less messy.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, thanks for the positive comments guys, here's what has happened so far, eight hours after pitching the yeast, there was a thick krausen layer on top of the beer. I was a bit surprised at the speed things were going, but the next morning, about eight hours after that, there was no krausen, just a creamy layer of small bubbles, but there was still lots of activity in there, the beer seemed to be rolling around turbulently without foaming much. Now, 30 hours after pitching, there is not much visible action. I don't have a gravity-o-meter, but I drew a bit off the tap on the fermenter, and although it is still milky/cloudy, the liquid tastes like beer. It's even identifiably an IPA. (I'm drinking a commercial IPA right now and it tasted similar, only the homebrew was "grainier" in taste.

Soo, I guess it must be turning out... but I've never seen wort turn into beer in only one day. I did put in both packets of yeast, I guess that sped things up?

I made two 1-gallon batches in one two-gallon fermenter, so I put both yeast packets in. I think I could have gotten away with just one. Is there any harm in using both? Everything seems to be going OK, but I'm amazed how fast it's fermenting. If I blindfolded someone and they couldn't see how cloudy it still is, they would think it was pretty good beer. I only mashed it yesterday. This seems fast.

P.S... God, I love beer. I just wanted to say that.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keither View Post

P.S... God, I love beer. I just wanted to say that.
Right on.
My only advice at this point is be patient and leave it alone for a few weeks. I know its tough, but perhaps planning you next brew will help. After all when this batch is gone you will want the next batch ready to start drinking. Ive got four kegs serving, two cold conditioning one lagering, one in the ferment chamber and about ten cases of bottles archived from previous batches, and I still am planing the next brew session. In the words of Gen. George Patton, be advancing all the time. Never retreat. Cheers.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keither View Post
After several successes with some extract beers, I ordered some all-grain kits from the Brooklyn Brew Shop. I'm making the "everyday IPA" right now. I'm just typing this as I wait a couple of minutes to go stir the mash some more... So far, so good. The mash went from being oatmeal-y to being sticky sweet and I have about ten minutes to go before I "mash out". I'm making a double batch so I'll have 2 gallons of wort to put in my little "Mr Beer" fermenter.

Well, I'm nervous, but I now have a sweet wort, so I guess that means there will be a beer of some kind in a couple of weeks.

I'm off to "mash out". Wish me luck. I barely know what I'm doing, but I'm a pretty good cook, and this is just a really complicated recipe. I'll post some pictures later.

I found it difficult to keep the mash temperature in the right range. It stayed at about 152 degrees for about 15 minutes, but then it started to cool off and after I turned off the stove, it went as high as 160 before going back down. I'm not particularly worried. This is fun!
I mash in my boil pot using a paint strainer bag. I bring the water to the "strike temperature" which is just enough above the mash temp that when I add the grain the temp drops just to the intended mash temp. then I wrap the boil pot with a couple towels to insulate it and walk away. Since I have the bag to filter the grain out I can mill it pretty fine and that give me conversion in less time. I've seen the change in less than 20 minutes as the wort goes from cloudy from the starches to clear as the starch changes to sugar. I never add heat until the bag is out of the pot.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Three weeks later..

Success! The beer has been in bottles for a week and is nice and clear. Two gallons of beer will get you about 16 bottles, so I used two of those 1-litre "Mr.Beer" bottles, and twelve nice cobalt-blue swing-tops. There was a great deal more "trub" in the fermenter than I am used to from extract beer, so I was only able to fill one of the 1-litre bottles half way. As a result, it carbonated quickly (I had already put the sugar in there) so I opened it early so it wouldn't detonate.

The good news is, it tasted terrific, even though it had only been carbonating for three days! That must be some super-yeast that came in the kit. My wife and I agreed it had a more complex and pleasant taste than previous brews. It was grainy, hoppy and mellow. I can't wait to open a properly conditioned bottle. The beer is a pleasant orangey-yellow color.

So right now I am mashing my second all-grain batch, this time the "chocolate maple porter" it's been cooking for about twenty minutes now, it already smells like a cross between a mocha coffee and a malted milkshake. I would drink it the way it is now. This is really fun.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I love clicking on a thread like this to see the "happy ending". Right on man

Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

That sounds great on both the first brew and the one in progress.

The first one, if it is good at a week should be great at 3 or 4 weeks.

I love all grain brewing using a mash tun. A little less with BIAB. (too hot, sticky and messy!)

All grain gives so much room for creativity and control. More like cooking with fresh ingredients instead of popping a meal in the microwave.

The one variety of brewing that never interested my is pre-hopped extract kits.

Quick Reply