Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm making an all grain beer...fun!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Keither
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I'm making an all grain beer...fun!

After several successes with some extract beers, I ordered some all-grain kits from the Brooklyn Brew Shop. I'm making the "everyday IPA" right now. I'm just typing this as I wait a couple of minutes to go stir the mash some more... So far, so good. The mash went from being oatmeal-y to being sticky sweet and I have about ten minutes to go before I "mash out". I'm making a double batch so I'll have 2 gallons of wort to put in my little "Mr Beer" fermenter.

Well, I'm nervous, but I now have a sweet wort, so I guess that means there will be a beer of some kind in a couple of weeks.

I'm off to "mash out". Wish me luck. I barely know what I'm doing, but I'm a pretty good cook, and this is just a really complicated recipe. I'll post some pictures later.

I found it difficult to keep the mash temperature in the right range. It stayed at about 152 degrees for about 15 minutes, but then it started to cool off and after I turned off the stove, it went as high as 160 before going back down. I'm not particularly worried. This is fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Are you doing BIAB?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It took me a while to figure out what BIAB means... no, that would be too sensible. I'm doing a BIABGSSPOTSWLOLPASAABGM (brewing in a big giant stainless steel pot on the stove with lots of little pots and strainers and a big giant mess)

I now have two gallons of a murky, reddish brown liquid on the stove heating up for the boil. So far, so good, I think, except I wish I had an even bigger pot, and I had to sparge the grain in three rounds because my strainer, which I thought would be big enough, could only hold a third of the mash at once.

The whole house smells like the railway yard in Thunder Bay a couple of weeks after the big summer grain trains start rolling through.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

BIABGSSPOTSWLOLPASAABGM would not be my preferred process, but good luck mate.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha, thanks man, it turns out it's not my favourite process either, but I'm pressing on. I started four hours ago, there's half an hour left to the boil, and then into the ice bath. Well, the only thing I'm not too sure I did right was the sparging. I'm going to need a bigger pot and strainer next time. My beer might be a little low in alcohol. Oh well, it smells just like extract wort at this point. Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be beer of some kind. I have good luck with plans and recipes. I'm feeling optimistic.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Smithwrecked
Recipes 

Right on and good luck!!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome and good luck with your first AG.
I have a few relatives and friends living in Yellowknife... my cousin wanted me to go back with him to work for him a few years ago.
I don't like the kind of cold you guys get there, and my job of giving heat would put me in more of a cold situation than I want,

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do yourself a favor and build a mash ton out of a cooler. Spend less than 100 bucks and make life much easier on yourself.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Irish13
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak
do yourself a favor and build a mash ton out of a cooler. Spend less than 100 bucks and make life much easier on yourself.
+1. Agreed chumpsteak!

But the best ships, are friendships,
and may they always be.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I'll look into converting a cooler.

That was a LOT of work. But I finally got the wort cooled down and it's in the fermenter. I started at about ten o'clock this morning, and was pitching the yeast by about four in the afternoon, feeling a little beat. But now I have finished drying the spent grain in the oven for making crackers, and it's 10:54 at night. I just looked in on the fermenter, and HOLY CRAP!! It's already fermenting! It's bubbling away like crazy. Well, I guess it's going to be beer. Now the waiting begins, to see if it's GOOD beer.

Quick Reply