I'm an Idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon_Skiers

Reaction score
brewed my second batch ever today (black IPA kit). All went well until i was adding water to the wort to get the appropriate OG.

Well, being the smart individual I am, I didn't mix in the water enough and ended up adding to much. My OG was wayyy low! Flavor came out all right though. We will see what happens. I am thinking it should be fine, just not as strong as I would have liked.

I am already hooked on this. Plan on brewing another batch next weekend. 3rd time is a charm!!

If you topped off it may be an incorrect hydro reading due to it not mixing well. As long as you use the right amount of everything got your 5 gallons and a kit is a give in -especially extract. You more than likely have what the origional og goes for.Hydros dont like wort with top off water.

Not an idiot - you didn't do anything wrong. Yes you probably didn't mix your top-off water and wort very well at the start, hence the low OG, but during fermentation I assure you that the wort perfectly combined with the water, creating the beer you endeavored to make right from the start.

Yes, you are an idiot! once you taste a perfect beer that you made you will then be the same as all of us brewers,,,,,, complete idiots! It's all down hill from here! don't worry, your beer will more than likely be fine so when it's done raise a glass and be proud of what you've made and do it again!

Back