New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm going to skip starting with extract and start with all-grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
jetmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystatebrew View Post
i disagree. yes, you need more equipment. but that is not "all" you need. experience and understanding the basics can't be replaced just by spending more on equipment or knowing other people that brew beer. their experience isn't yours and there is no replacement for personal experience. there is a difference between following a step by step brew process and actually understanding the intricacies of certain steps that you only learn through experience. starting simple makes it a hell of a lot easier to add a few additional advanced steps into the basic process.
AG seems pretty simple. Boil some water, mix it with your grain, let it sit, drain it, add more HL, let let it sit again, drain it, boil the wort, chill it fast, pitch yeast, let it ferment, keg it. Of course I'm leaving out some steps but basically that's it. I expect the early batches to not turn out very good and that will be my experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

jetmac - a good reference book (like "How to Brew") and especially good software (like BeerSmith) plus some basic equipment will be a great start on your journey to complete and total brewing obsession. This forum and MOST of the brewers here are the best people when it comes to answers for you, sometimes you have to ignore some of the responses tough!

Good luck and keep on asking!!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Good choice jetmac. If you've seen someone brew all grain then you know how simple it really is. And there's no reason your early batches can't be great - mine were. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #14
jetmac

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
jetmac - a good reference book (like "How to Brew") and especially good software (like BeerSmith) plus some basic equipment will be a great start on your journey to complete and total brewing obsession. This forum and MOST of the brewers here are the best people when it comes to answers for you, sometimes you have to ignore some of the responses tough!

Good luck and keep on asking!!
Thx. I forgot about the software

Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

not saying you couldn't do AG from the get go, but if you've got the equipment for AG, it may make your 1st brew day less stressful to brew up an extract batch. As far as quality, if you are doing full boils, which I am assuming you have the equipment for if you're planning on doing AG, there's not much difference between AG and Extract other than being able to control the malt profile better with AG.

Personally I brew both ways. I have a few recipes, especially IPA's where it's not about the malt but about the hops, that I always brew as extract, simply because it makes for a much shorter brew day. As far as quality, I've tried brewing the same recipes as AG and Extract and haven't noticed much difference. But if you're brewing a less hoppy beer that is supposed to have more malt flavors, AG is definatley the way to go.

My vote would be do 1 extract batch first, but that's just my $0.02. AG's not that much more difficult, but for a new brewer, it's a lot to try and remember.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #16
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

oh, and either way, good luck and enjoy!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 AM   #17
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
oh, and either way, good luck and enjoy!!!
Yaeh, as papazian siad (not Revvy) RDWHAHB!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #18
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did one extract batch when I first started brewing. My second batch was a PM. From #3 on I've brewed all grain. I started out with very little equipment, a turkey fryer stand, one kettle that was both my HLT and my boil kettle, and an Ice Cube ice chest with a homemade manifold for a mash tun.

I'm pretty much with sudbuster. I don't think it's rocket science. It's a fact that the more you do it the better you'll get, but I'd be willing to bet that if you read and prepare a bit, make sure you choose an appropriate process for the equipment you have, and then pay attention while brewing, you'll end up with a very satisfying brew. I did, and I barely understood what I was doing at the time.

Go for it. There's no way to gain experience but to just do it. Good luck.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #19
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Yaeh, as papazian siad (not Revvy) RDWHAHB!
LIES AND SLANDER!!

Hope to be making the AG jump here pretty soon. Got my holiday ale bubbling away as we speak, hoping to start of the new year with a grainological brew-ha-ha.

Now I just need to get another cooler w/ valve, larger kettle, probably another 2 cases of bottles, digi thermometer, etc etc etc...
Primary: Zilch
Secondary: Nada
Bottled/Fridge: Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone Sucaba Barleywine
Kegerator: Just kicked (dammit all!)
Coming Up: Revision of my Belgian Strong

Old 10-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledegg81 View Post
LIES AND SLANDER!!

Hope to be making the AG jump here pretty soon. Got my holiday ale bubbling away as we speak, hoping to start of the new year with a grainological brew-ha-ha.

Now I just need to get another cooler w/ valve, larger kettle, probably another 2 cases of bottles, digi thermometer, etc etc etc...
It will all come with time, sir! enjoy the trip....

Quick Reply