Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm going to skip starting with extract and start with all-grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default I'm going to skip starting with extract and start with all-grain

Anything I should pay particular attention to?

I think I can do it. I have a few friends who have been all-grain brewing for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Temperature control is critical from the start of the mash all the way to bottle conditioning.

Temperature control is arguably the one thing more important than sanitation, but sanitation is definitely another really important concern.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can definitely do it. There's just more to pay attention to. And the other thing is that your beer won't turn out exactly as you plan, since you don't know what your brewhouse efficiency is yet. But it'll probably still turn out great. Just be patient and follow some well-written instructions that you can find here (or that your friends are helping you with).

Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

wish I would have had some all grain friends when I started, I could have saved some money on alot of gear that I outgrew within the first year.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

I did 3 extract batches before making the jump. Looking back I wish i went straight to AG. I would've screwed a batch or two and I would've read up on everything a lot more than i did but i still say 'go for it'.

I agree with the temp control comment.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
Anything I should pay particular attention to?

I think I can do it. I have a few friends who have been all-grain brewing for a while.
I think you have made a very wise choice. AG is not the mysterious realm of beer gurus that many would like some to think. Having the equiptment is all it takes. If you can follow a cookie recipe, you can brew AG...

Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Carter5112
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like it! I went AG after 2 brews. I just couldn't help myself. Biggest problem you'll run into I think is troubleshooting flaws in the final product. Starting off with extract would allow you to focus on the boil and fermentation more. I don't blame you though. I didn't really feel like I made beer till I started from the grain. Read the stickies here on All Grain and Palmer's book if you haven't and you'll be set. The one thing it's taken me several batches to pinpoint is increased dough-in water temp to account for grain and tun temps as well as lauter water temp to increase grain bed temp to desired.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks for the replies. I have read John Palmers book. I agree keeping things sanatised is important and I am working on getting a free fridge for temp control during fermentation. I have a Ranco temp controller I used for my salt water aquarium. AND...I plan to keg to keep things simple. I hate washing dishes and washing and sanitising dozens of bottles plus trying to get carbonation correct is more work.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
baystatebrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i disagree. yes, you need more equipment. but that is not "all" you need. experience and understanding the basics can't be replaced just by spending more on equipment or knowing other people that brew beer. their experience isn't yours and there is no replacement for personal experience. there is a difference between following a step by step brew process and actually understanding the intricacies of certain steps that you only learn through experience. starting simple makes it a hell of a lot easier to add a few additional advanced steps into the basic process.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystatebrew View Post
i disagree. yes, you need more equipment. but that is not "all" you need. experience and understanding the basics can't be replaced just by spending more on equipment or knowing other people that brew beer. their experience isn't yours and there is no replacement for personal experience. there is a difference between following a step by step brew process and actually understanding the intricacies of certain steps that you only learn through experience. starting simple makes it a hell of a lot easier to add a few additional advanced steps into the basic process.
With all due respect sir, I think every thing you have said is bulls^it. Any average IQ 7th grader with the proper equiptment could easily brew an AG beer.

Quick Reply