Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm getting a soapy taste after primary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #11
BKmyWAY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just an FYI...i just bottles the beer and the extra time in secondary not only got rid of any off flavors, but it also made it the clearest and cleanest tasting beer that i have brewed to date...im thinking that i need to lengthen my overall timeframe

A wise man knows that he knows not.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
slomo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a soapy after taste with a dark ale, and it eventually conditioned out.

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

To step in for a moment and hopefully not inflame another sanitizer debate..

I have been using oxyclean at 1 scoop per gallon (Sodium Percarbonate - which is what one-step really is) for a couple of years now as a cleaner AND sanitizer. I do rinse well though. My water is clean.

I use it for carboys and my filtering system. I leave it overnight. If the carboy is clean already I'll just soak for an hour or so.

I sometimes use some sulfite in a spray bottle for some things that are already clean.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
johnodonovan
Recipes 

I had a similar problem with a 10 gal batch of Surly Cynic. It was my first time brewing this beer, and my first upgrade to 10gal after about a year of brewing 5 gals. Also was my first "bad" experience. I purposely added extra hops to get a more bitter flavor (personal taste). I split the 10 gal into two 5 gal carboys and kegged one after 4 weeks in the primary. A couple of days after force carbonating, I tried a beer, and promptly spat it back out because it tasted like soap (and maybe even a little 'salty'). Now, only a week later the beer is beginning to taste really good. Accordingly, I siphoned the second 5gal batch into a secondary and will give it a few more weeks to age. Perhaps it was the hops, and reim0027's wife has a more discerning palate than he does (btw: My cleaner and sanitizer were PBW and Star San respectively. )

Quick Reply