Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm getting a soapy taste after primary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
BKmyWAY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I'm getting a soapy taste after primary...

After switching to the secondary fermenter, i tested the SG of a sample that was left in the tube of my siphon. After getting the reading i took a taste of the beer, and it had a soapy taste to it. Is this a common problem? Is this something that I should be worried about? Did i mess something up on the sanitation side??

Thanks in advance!

-BK

A wise man knows that he knows not.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

What do you use to wash you equipment? To sanitize it?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
BKmyWAY
Recipes 

1-step sanitizer. I have everything that i use filled with/covered in the solution for 20+min as per the instructions.

At this point i am thinking that i just had some left over in the vial that i tested the SG in...one can always hope, but i guess ill see after secondary

Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is kinda off topic, but just so you know, cleaning must precede sanitizing. Brewstrong has a podcast for each one, and really if there is one point to take away from either, it is that. PBW is their recommended cleaner, but oxyclean is also good (I think PBW works like oxyclean but has a surfactant). Clean and rinse, then sanitize.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Hopefully it was just your test vessel. If not, and that taste is in your beer, there's still a good chance it will mellow with age. Personally, I'd recommend you switch to Star San or Iodophor to sanitize. According to FDA standards, One Step no longer technically qualifies as a sanitizer. That's probably not what caused your off taste, though. I used to use One Step, and I never rinsed it. Assuming you diluted properly, One Step shouldn't cause off flavors.

If that strange soapy flavor does persist through your secondary (I don't think it will, and I hope it doesn't) it should mellow with age. You might have to just sit on that beer for a few months, but it should get better with age. Really the only two off flavors that aren't going to mellow out are from oxidation (cardboard) and infection (unwashed badger anus). Anything other than that, or just having a crappy recipe, should ease out over time.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
This is kinda off topic, but just so you know, cleaning must precede sanitizing. Brewstrong has a podcast for each one, and really if there is one point to take away from either, it is that. PBW is their recommended cleaner, but oxyclean is also good (I think PBW works like oxyclean but has a surfactant). Clean and rinse, then sanitize.
He's right about this. Cleaning and sanitizing are two very different, yet equally important, steps. Make sure you're doing both, and remember that it's easy to not clean/sanitize enough, but it's pretty hard to go overboard. Better to err on the side of caution.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't experienced this myself, but you could be tasting chlorophenols that are in your tap water. Is this your first batch? Did you use tap water? For most of us that is fine but some places it isn't, in which case you could use RO or distilled water from the store, which adds a little more expense but its not that bad.

Also, I didn't pay close enough attention to the original post but I see now that you're tasting a sample from racking. I taste then too, but I don't judge the beer by it. The idea being that someday my tastebuds will be tuned enough to do that, but not yet. Relax until it is in the bottle and starting to mature, you may find that by then it is great.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
bell0347
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Relax until it is in the bottle and starting to mature, you may find that by then it is great.

I agree. Time in the bottle usually helps. I did a beer with a soapy, slippery taste and feel once. It used a large amount of LME. I have read that stale or old LME can develop a soapy taste. I have since used only DME and have never had it again.

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Some people tell me that hops can impart a soapy flavor. My wife tastes it; I do not.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
BKmyWAY
Recipes 

Thanks for the words of wisdom/consolation guys!!

Quick Reply