Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm confused about late addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
tackett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default I'm confused about late addition

So, in all my reading here, I'm still confused about something.

Is it better to boil your hops in straight water for the alotted time, then add ALL the extract at knockout? Or...

Should you do 1/3 at the beginning of the boil and 2/3 at knockout? Or 1/2 and 1/2?

I've seen so many different opinions, and I'm trying to figure out the general concensus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Late additions may make for lighter beer because there's less time to carmelize the sugars.

I think most people would say it really doesn't matter that much. But people get into some pretty heavy fine tuning.

I think I'd err on the side of having it in longer to make sure it's all mixed in evenly before it hits your fermenter.

Charlie Pap. swears by boiling it for the full amount in his book, but I don't remember why.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Unfortunately, you wont get a general consensus on this topic. I saw a Basic Brewing episode where they tested two identical beers, with the only difference being the extract was added for 60 mins in one and in the other the extract was added with 15 mins left.

The result in a blind taste test, was the beer with the extract added late resulted in a more balanced, more bitter beer. The beer with the extract boiled for 60 minutes was good, but they both preferred the one with the late extract addition.

Their findings seem to indicate that adding extract early is not necessary for good hop utilization. In fact, they were saying it was more bitter when they boiled in just water.

I haven't done an extract only batch where I boiled it for 60 minutes.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

I do partial boils of about 3 gallons with half a 3lb bag of plain DME for hop additions. I add the remaining DME & all LME at flame out. cover & steep 15 minutes. Since pasteurization happens about 162F,the wort is stilll plenty hot enough.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

I have no data or supporting information, but I thought hops utilization suffered in plain water. That's why the "happy medium" between carmelized wort and low IBUs was to add a little (10-30%) when the first hops go in and the rest late (15 minutes to flameout).

Again, I have absolutely no supporting details. Maybe this is just one of those practices that was thrown out there (someone at sometime knew why or THOUGHT they knew why) and the theory has been debunked but still lingers...

No idea.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

A lighter wort in a partial boil like I do gives good hop utilization that stands out well when topped off in the fermenter,etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Hold on... time out...

There are brewers who make a wort, either by extract or all-grain, and then, in a separate pot, just boil the hops in plain water and then combine the two??

When I first read the OP I thought it was a question around why you would add hops at different times in the boil and that all has to fo with bitterness vs aroma but now that I'm reading it, that doesn't seem the case.

Why would anyone boil the hops separately???

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Hold on... time out...

There are brewers who make a wort, either by extract or all-grain, and then, in a separate pot, just boil the hops in plain water and then combine the two??

When I first read the OP I thought it was a question around why you would add hops at different times in the boil and that all has to fo with bitterness vs aroma but now that I'm reading it, that doesn't seem the case.

Why would anyone boil the hops separately???
The op is asking when to add the extract, not to boil the hops separate. When I did extract I did half and half, no particular reason. My beers turned out fine but if it's a really light beer maybe you would want to do a different amount like 1/4 and 3/4? But don't quote me on that last one.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
The op is asking when to add the extract, not to boil the hops separate. When I did extract I did half and half, no particular reason. My beers turned out fine but if it's a really light beer maybe you would want to do a different amount like 1/4 and 3/4? But don't quote me on that last one.
Ahhhhhh... got it...

Hmmm... I didn't realize anyone did "late additions" of extract either. When I was doing extract batches I would do full boils with all of the extract as, I thought, you were still driving off DMS, etc. with the full 60 minute boils on the wort itself. Could easily be wrong there as I'm certainly not an extract expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Again, I have no supporting information, but I was under the impression that it was more critical for partial boils because the wort was more concentrated. Full boils are less likely to have extensive Maillard reactions.

Quick Reply