Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ill effects of too-high fermentation temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
nigel31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ill effects of too-high fermentation temp?

Hey,

My Scotch Ale is bubbling away nicely (brewed Tuesday), but at a temp just above the optimal range for the yeast (and the style). The Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast's optimal range is 55-70F, and mine's in the coolest place in my home at a steady 72F--not much above the range, but if I had my druthers, it'd be at 65-68F. :/

We had a couple of warm days here (NJ) and it got a bit warmer that I'd hoped for.

Anyone know how this can affect the taste if it remains at this temp? This will be (per the NB kit instructions) in the primary for 2-4 weeks and then in a secondary for 2 months (big beer), then bottle conditioned for another couple weeks.

The best I can do would be to get a storage container that fits the carboy and fill it with icy water, changing it twice daily for several weeks. (I'll gladly do it if need be, of course.)

Thanks for the care and knowledge.

Nige

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

do you have a basement or garage? if you set a glass carboy directly on cool cement it should cool to the range you are looking for. Typically keeping it on the floor would be cooler then on a bench or something like that. Either way, I think you are fine. It might ferment a little fast but should be ok. I wouldn't cool it with ice and water as that would be very inconsistent and temps would flux up and down which would be worse. my .02

Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd cool it off. It won't be for weeks, because once you hit FG you can let it ride.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply