Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ignore the Instructions,. Do not bottle after 5-10 days!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #41
Marsdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Great thread. I have my first batch fermenting now. I was going to bottle it when the hydrometer readings were constant but now I think I will wait at least another week after that. I am brewing a simple amber ale from extract.

A quick question. After I bottle how long should it set in the bottles and what temperature should I keep the bottles at? I have a problem with keeping the temps down. I live in a log house with in-the-floor heating and it wants to keep the temp around 72F.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #42
Mobius570
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found this thread, one day too late. I bottled my True Brew Oktoberfest kit after 8 days, which was last night. I did do 2 hydrometer reading over a 3 day period and they were the same. Also the kit said to store it in a cool dark place for 7 days then place in the fridge for another 3 weeks. Is this also not a good practice? Worst case scenario I'll know if it is good in 4 weeks.

Now that my primary is freed up, I'll start another batch now and this way I won't be in a hurry to bottle it and give it time in the primary. Thanks for the great info so far. This is my first batch so I'm a little nervous, even though I see a lot of RDWHAHB (or something like that). I guess for now I'll RDWHACB since I don't have any home brew now.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #43
cdif911
Recipes 

quick question- how does one take hydrometer readings without aerating the beer?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #44
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdif911 View Post
quick question- how does one take hydrometer readings without aerating the beer?
Just use a sanitized wine thief or even a turkey baster, and take out some beer, putting it into a test jar. When you get enough, just place the lid and airlock back on. There should be no pouring, stirring, etc, to aerate the beer.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #45
DoctorHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a turkey baster. Drink what is in the hydrometer. Don't return it to the fermenter. Marvel at how much better it will be after it is carbonated, cooled and aged.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #46
cdif911
Recipes 

I'm very happy I caught this thread - we checked the hydrometer today (7th day was planning on bottling per kit instructions) and the reading looked to be 2.8 apv.. gonna give it at least another week now. glad we didn't blindly follow the directions

Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #47
BBKing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The thing about those canned kits is that if you have a pipeline running low and dont mind the lack of creative control, they can be a god-send.

Since I've started giving my beer a month in primary (the non canned type that is) I've given the canned stuff AT LEAST 2 weeks sometimes as long as 3 weeks (depends on my pipeline). Its just become habit to me to give even the (what I consider to be) inferior stuff proper time.

As far as crappy instructions go, I suppose they're everywhere. I've done a lot of kits from midwest supplies and have come to the conclusion that a few have had bad instuctions.

Perfect example:

The very first kit of theirs I did was called "Honey Bee Ale" and they instructed the brewer to throw the 2 pounds of honey straight in the boil along with DME/LME. Come drinking time, there was hardly any hint of honey anything.

If I brewed that kit again (and I'm thinking about it) I would throw the honey in after flame out when the temp went down to about 165.

Point is, I think that by throwing the honey in to boil for an hour, it ruined all the flavor.

DISCLAIMER: I still think Midwest Supplies is great. Never had a problem with them.

Reason: Forgot disclaimer

Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #48
bubbleboy
Recipes 

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch of beer... India Pale Ale, it's a Brewer's Best kit I picked up at my local home brew store. I'm on day 3 in the primary and the bubbling has already slowed to almost nothing. I was planning on bottling this weekend if the SG reading was good. Now I'm reconsidering based on this thread.

My question is, if leave it in the primary for another week or so, can I wait to take the SG reading until I'm ready to bottle? I guess I'm wondering if opening the top of the primary and exposing the beer to air just to check the SG reading could potentially cause contamination of some kind? Wouldn't leaving a cushion of CO2 in the primary be better?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #49
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch of beer... India Pale Ale, it's a Brewer's Best kit I picked up at my local home brew store. I'm on day 3 in the primary and the bubbling has already slowed to almost nothing. I was planning on bottling this weekend if the SG reading was good. Now I'm reconsidering based on this thread.

My question is, if leave it in the primary for another week or so, can I wait to take the SG reading until I'm ready to bottle? I guess I'm wondering if opening the top of the primary and exposing the beer to air just to check the SG reading could potentially cause contamination of some kind? Wouldn't leaving a cushion of CO2 in the primary be better?

Thanks for any help!
Definitely don't bottle this weekend!

Take an SG reading about three- four days before you want to bottle. Then, another one on the day before you bottle. If they are the same, you're fine. Opening it to take the samples is fine.

Don't bottle a beer until it is 2 weeks old at a minimum. Three weeks is even better. It's hard to wait- but it's worth it!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #50
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for any help!
We are practically neighbors. I guess you shopped at the Indian Trail location?

Your assumption is right, if you are going to wait another week, there's no reason to take a sample in the meantime. Take the sample 3 days before you bottle, then again right before you bottle to verify it hasn't changed. Everytime you open the lid, you expose the beer to contamination. It's just a fact of life. You have to open it from time to time, without risk there is no reward. But there is no reason in taking a risk when it isn't necessary.

Quick Reply