The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > If you don't hit the FG of your recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

I don't have any yeast on hand and I'm heading out of town today until Saturday. I plan on letting it sit and taking another FG reading on Saturday. Maybe after a few more days it'll drop 5 points, but I'm not really banking on it.

I just don't want to have overcarbed bottles. I'm fine with how it tastes. I know some of you guys say it won't matter, but I've read in other areas that it does matter, so now I'm worried.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how accurate are those weights? it wouldnt take much extra lactose to make that FG reasonable. without the lactose it shoulda finished around 1.010 - 1.014. every oz of lactose would add about 2.7 pts onto that.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
how accurate are those weights? it wouldnt take much extra lactose to make that FG reasonable. without the lactose it shoulda finished around 1.010 - 1.014. every oz of lactose would add about 2.7 pts onto that.
I can't speak to the accuracy of the grains because my LHBS measures them out for me. Maybe they round up/down to make things easier on their end?

The lactose is pretty dead on. I have a digital scale that I used.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
I don't have any yeast on hand and I'm heading out of town today until Saturday. I plan on letting it sit and taking another FG reading on Saturday. Maybe after a few more days it'll drop 5 points, but I'm not really banking on it.

I just don't want to have overcarbed bottles. I'm fine with how it tastes. I know some of you guys say it won't matter, but I've read in other areas that it does matter, so now I'm worried.
You'll have to point me to where you're getting this information that your bottles are going to end up over-carbed. It doesn't really make sense from a practical point of view - if your yeast are no longer eating the sugars remaining in beer that are causing your FG to be what it is, it's highly unlikely that introducing sugar for bottling and transferring to your bottling bucket are going to substantially change that. As others have noted, the added lactose can easily increase your FG readings to the level you're at and it's not as if bottling is going to make that stuff magically fermentable. If you add the right amount of sugar for the level of carbonation you are seeking, I don't think you're going to end up with over-carbed beer. Who is saying otherwise and what is the basis of that opinion?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J View Post
You'll have to point me to where you're getting this information that your bottles are going to end up over-carbed. It doesn't really make sense from a practical point of view - if your yeast are no longer eating the sugars remaining in beer that are causing your FG to be what it is, it's highly unlikely that introducing sugar for bottling and transferring to your bottling bucket are going to substantially change that. As others have noted, the added lactose can easily increase your FG readings to the level you're at and it's not as if bottling is going to make that stuff magically fermentable. If you add the right amount of sugar for the level of carbonation you are seeking, I don't think you're going to end up with over-carbed beer. Who is saying otherwise and what is the basis of that opinion?
Page 1 of this thread, 4 posts down- by thargav
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ques...ipment-311657/

Page 1 of this thread, 9 posts down- TopherM
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/2-qu...-sugar-310397/

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Prior to pitching, how did you aerate the wort? And did you just dump the S-05 in or did you rehydrate? It could be a yeast viability issue...maybe

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Epiphanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Both of those posts point to overcarbonation being a function of bottling too early (i.e. fermentation wasn't finished). If your beer's specific gravity is stable, you should be fine to bottle and shouldn't worry about overcarbonation.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphanic View Post
Both of those posts point to overcarbonation being a function of bottling too early (i.e. fermentation wasn't finished). If your beer's specific gravity is stable, you should be fine to bottle and shouldn't worry about overcarbonation.
But my first brew was stable...It was stable for 3 days in a row, so I bottled. Then it came out overcarbed.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
Epiphanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe you used too much priming sugar?*

If the yeast are finished fermenting, a slightly higher than expected FG isn't going to result in overcarbonation.

*When you say "overcarbed", what do you mean? Are you getting gushers or just more carbonation than you'd prefer?

Quick Reply