Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   If you don't hit the FG of your recipe... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/if-you-dont-hit-fg-your-recipe-313004/)

JeffoC6 03-14-2012 03:12 PM

If you don't hit the FG of your recipe...
 
But FG readings are 5 points off (Intended FG 1.022, current FG 1.027) on 3 consecutive days, is it still OK to bottle?

I did a few searches on here and can't really get an answer to this question. My AG recipe shows a target OG of 1.062 (mine was 1.061). The target FG is 1.022, mine is 1.027 at 18 days into primary (only) fermentation. I plan on taking another reading at 21 days (this Saturday), but if it's still at 1.027, is it safe to bottle...or not?

If not, then what else can be done to drop it a few more points? The temp has already been bumped up to about 70 degrees these last few days, so it's not like it's "too cold."

Any help?

TTB-J 03-14-2012 03:18 PM

Sure, it's probably safe to bottle. If you wanted to bring the FG down further, you have the option of re-pitching some new yeast in order to shave off some more points. I have had mixed results with using re-hydrated Champagne yeast to finish off batches that I thought could go lower. If you go the re-pitch route, you'll be waiting at least another week to see if you get additional attenuation.

It doesn't really matter what the FG of your beer is when you bottle, it just matters that it has stabilized and that you will only get a small, controlled fermentation when you bottle condition. If your yeast is still actively attenuating, the CO2 output will simply be too much and the resulting pressure will blow up the bottle. All of that being said, only being 5 points off your estimated is not that big of a deal. I've bottled a batch at 1.020 when it was supposed to 1.014 - the fermentation just stopped and I didn't mind the taste at all, so I bottled it.

JeffoC6 03-14-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTB-J (Post 3891270)
Sure, it's probably safe to bottle. If you wanted to bring the FG down further, you have the option of re-pitching some new yeast in order to shave off some more points. I have had mixed results with using re-hydrated Champagne yeast to finish off batches that I thought could go lower. If you go the re-pitch route, you'll be waiting at least another week to see if you get additional attenuation.

It doesn't really matter what the FG of your beer is when you bottle, it just matters that it has stabilized and that you will only get a small, controlled fermentation when you bottle condition. If your yeast is still actively attenuating, the CO2 output will simply be too much and the resulting pressure will blow up the bottle. All of that being said, only being 5 points off your estimated is not that big of a deal. I've bottled a batch at 1.020 when it was supposed to 1.014 - the fermentation just stopped and I didn't mind the taste at all, so I bottled it.

I just tasted it and it was good. I'm just trying to prepare myself for day 21 (this Saturday) if I get the same FG reading again.

Won't bottling when not meeting the FG cause overcarbonation?

dcp27 03-14-2012 03:22 PM

i wouldnt bottle it, thats not even 60% attenuation. what was your recipe and mash temp? sounds like a stalled ferment to me

Ma23456 03-14-2012 03:22 PM

Try a diacetyl rest by raising the temp to say 68-70 degrees

Epiphanic 03-14-2012 03:26 PM

It shouldn't. I think you're confusing expected FG with actual FG. Those yeast aren't machines and aren't looking to hit a specific final gravity. They just rock and roll until they've used up all the sugar they can, which is evidenced by the stable gravity readings.

Overcarbonation will only happen if you add too much priming sugar at bottling time.

You'll be fine.

JeffoC6 03-14-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcp27 (Post 3891289)
i wouldnt bottle it, thats not even 60% attenuation. what was your recipe and mash temp? sounds like a stalled ferment to me

Malts and Fermentables:
Pale Malt (2 Row US)- 1.4 lb
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt- 0.15 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Barley (flaked)- 0.125 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops
Mt. Hood- 0.16 oz @ 60 min. (was supposed to be 0.07 Magnum Hops)
EK Goldings- 0.2 oz @ 10 min.

Boil: 1 hr

Misc.
Milk sugar (lactose)- 0.2 lb @ 10 min.
1/4 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min.

Yeast:
S-05- Per MrMalty, pitch 0.2 packs of 11.5 gram dry packet (rounded up to .5 packet)

OG: 1.062
My OG: 1.061
FG: 1.022
My FG:

JeffoC6 03-14-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma23456 (Post 3891293)
Try a diacetyl rest by raising the temp to say 68-70 degrees

It's been between 66-70 for the last 5 days or so.

Stauffbier 03-14-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffoC6 (Post 3891321)
Malts and Fermentables:
Pale Malt (2 Row US)- 1.4 lb
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt- 0.15 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Barley (flaked)- 0.125 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops
Mt. Hood- 0.16 oz @ 60 min. (was supposed to be 0.07 Magnum Hops)
EK Goldings- 0.2 oz @ 10 min.

Boil: 1 hr

Misc.
Milk sugar (lactose)- 0.2 lb @ 10 min.
1/4 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min.

Yeast:
S-05- Per MrMalty, pitch 0.2 packs of 11.5 gram dry packet (rounded up to .5 packet)

OG: 1.062
My OG: 1.061
FG: 1.022
My FG:

I'm guessing this is around a 1 gallon batch. The lactose can give you a higher FG. Since you've warmed it up you can rouse the yeast a little and let it sit another week. If it's still the same after that I would bottle..

TTB-J 03-14-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffoC6 (Post 3891321)
Malts and Fermentables:
Pale Malt (2 Row US)- 1.4 lb
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt- 0.15 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Barley (flaked)- 0.125 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops
Mt. Hood- 0.16 oz @ 60 min. (was supposed to be 0.07 Magnum Hops)
EK Goldings- 0.2 oz @ 10 min.

Boil: 1 hr

Misc.
Milk sugar (lactose)- 0.2 lb @ 10 min.
1/4 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min.

Yeast:
S-05- Per MrMalty, pitch 0.2 packs of 11.5 gram dry packet (rounded up to .5 packet)

OG: 1.062
My OG: 1.061
FG: 1.022
My FG:

Interesting - you mashed low, so I would expect that you would get more attenuation than you did, especially with S-05. But you have the potential for alot of unfermentables with that grain bill, so I could also see it getting stuck. I've you've got that other half packet of yeast lying around, I would consider making up a simple starter and letting it get going for a day and then pitching that in. I guess I would be surprised if you couldn't drop a few more points off.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.