Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > If you could describe "green beer" flavor...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
FishinDave07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it has strong flavors (i.e. Alcohol heat) it would mellow out with aging.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed an extract amber ale recipe and after 10 weeks, 8 of which have been in the bottle, it is now an enjoyable, shareable beer. The darker the beer the longer it takes those stronger flavors from the dark malts that give the beer its dark color and richer flavor to mellow.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I think the OP understood that he was drinking green beer before opening his "runt" bottle.

To describe the taste of green beer? You did it in the first post. Distinctly different flavours competing for attention. When it is aged, these flavours will seem more like undertones swimming around in the flavour of the base malt......At least that's what I go for! I'm not a hophead

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with the ever-changing astounding gnome above. What you described is exactly green beer. Well done! I couldn't verbalize it that well when I encountered it. Just keep "trying" one a week to map its progress. Right around week 4 you'll naturally move to trying one a night. Its more fun that way.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
homemadebeer
Recipes 

the worst part to my taste is all the harshness from the alcohol.. just give it time

my blog on homemade beer

Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Since it's almost Fall, find a pumpkin. Cut out a slice & lick it. That's the flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to drink a couple of beers green when your first starting off in homebrewing, it gives you an idea of how your beer will evolve over time and it also helps you realize that even if a beer tastes like crap now if you let it sit for months it's bound to become better, depending on the style of course.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
You know I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to drink a couple of beers green when your first starting off in homebrewing, it gives you an idea of how your beer will evolve over time and it also helps you realize that even if a beer tastes like crap now if you let it sit for months it's bound to become better, depending on the style of course.
+1
I will usually crack one open each week as it is conditioning so I can get an idea of how the conditioning process works and how the beer evolves. I also taste it both as it is switched from primary to secondary as well as when it is bottled.

Difference is, now that I'm 8 batches in, I'm content with not drinking the rest of the beers in a batch until they're "fully" conditioned.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
Exactly. I think tasting green beer should actually be encouraged for the first brew or even two. It's a valuable part of the learning process. Although like most people, when I first did it I just wanted the beer quicker, screw the learning process!!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #20
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best way to learn "green beer flavor" is to drink the hydro samples as the beer comes out of the primary. It isn't good. Usually green apples, harsh bitterness, and grassy flavors from the hops, often with sharp grainy notes mixed in.

Well, usually it isn't good, my Irish Red was quite tasty at that point but I digress, I will be tapping that keg this weekend after two months of conditioning in the keg so it'll probably be stellar now!!

The best way to avoid drinking green homebrew... have a full beer pipeline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply