Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   If you could describe "green beer" flavor... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/if-you-could-describe-green-beer-flavor-77957/)

batches_brew 08-27-2008 05:22 AM

If you could describe "green beer" flavor...
 
If you could describe "green beer" flavor how would you do it? I poured my first glass of South English Brown Ale tonight. I couldn't wait 3 weeks so after 11 days I opened my runt bottle (the last one filled before running out/3 quarters full.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/...fb12ca9973.jpg

I was relieved to hear the sound of C02 escaping. It's strong because I accidentally shorted the batch by a gallon of water. It was good but had a kind of rich, alcoholic taste. Sour/sweet, but not too sour. It's hard to explain. It's like a clean brown ale flavor with the undercurrent of flavor described above. Is that the green flavor? If it mellows out a little it will be great!

Tankard 08-27-2008 05:27 AM

Sounds like "green" to me. That little bite will calm down quite a bit over the next couple of weeks while the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. At 3 weeks you'll have a good beer, at 5-6 weeks even better, and so on.

Give it time and have patience and I think you will be richly rewarded.

batches_brew 08-27-2008 05:32 AM

I have three more batches in various levels of fermentation and I'm not hard up for good beer. I can just walk to the liquor store up the block for some Stone or Lagunitas. My point is that I'm gonna wait another few weeks before officially breaking into the batch. Better to have it in it's best state possible.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy 08-27-2008 06:00 AM

Cant say it enough:

Patience is a virtue when it comes to home brewing. I opened my first beer a week after bottleing and thought i bottled monkey urine. Wait a few and sure enough it will get better. My first went from Monkey urine to drinkable after two more weeks.

batches_brew 08-27-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi Kapp Beer Guy (Post 820120)
Cant say it enough:

Patience is a virtue when it comes to home brewing. I opened my first beer a week after bottleing and thought i bottled monkey urine. Wait a few and sure enough it will get better. My first went from Monkey urine to drinkable after two more weeks.

Now that you mention it, there was a slight monkey urine flavor there. Spider Monkey to be specific.

:D

Orfy 08-27-2008 06:16 AM

Wait 2 weeks and you'll learn the difference for yourself.

Kauai_Kahuna 08-27-2008 09:00 AM

Simple answer, bad - or just not good to great.
I think your original post described it perfectly, wait two to three weeks to see the difference - you sure your not a beer snob posing as a newbie question?

batches_brew 08-27-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna (Post 820168)
Simple answer, bad - or just not good to great.
I think your original post described it perfectly, wait two to three weeks to see the difference - you sure your not a beer snob posing as a newbie question?

No. Just a beer snob who IS a newbie. ;)

Revvy 08-27-2008 09:51 AM

Read this, and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

batches_brew 08-27-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revvy (Post 820180)
Read this, and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

Nicely written. Thanks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.