Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > If/When I should add lemon to Wheat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #21
JeanLucD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
No fruit in my beer, unless it is from Mexico, and that's a slice of lime to keep the flies out of the bottle.
Hehe so true, except limes r too expensive for me, . I hate to sound ignorant but whats the main difference between German hefe and an American wheat - other than the obvious ones originaly German, therefore probably more traditional and the other one is American.

And to Ryanh1801, now that I hear that about Lubbock, it makes me like that quote even more, hahaha - I guess I should feel sorry that you lived there for 2 years?

I think I'm secure enough in my manhood to have fruity "girly" drinks... you know, they just taste nice! I might try a whole variety of citrus fruits with my beer once it's done - maybe mandarin? Or maybe not...

On a little side note - I'm using a Munton's kit and I wonder if I should buy some yeast instead of using the yeast supplied, but what would b the best to buy? If I should.

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #22
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot

I have an Special Orange Bitter that's conditioning right now. It's pretty tasty...
What did you use for the Orange flavor? I used orange zest in my Orange Pale Ale, and it tastes like Mr. Clean Orange All Purpose Cleaner. I'm not tossing it yet. I'll let it age for a few months and see if that dies down a bit.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #23
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucD
I hate to sound ignorant but whats the main difference between German hefe and an American wheat - other than the obvious ones originaly German, therefore probably more traditional and the other one is American.
Well the main diff is the yeast.

German heffe uses a german yeast giving it a fruity profile, american wheat usually uses a clean american yeast. The cleaner yeast leaves a slightly tangy profile in the beer that can be one hell of a thirst quencher. WLP001 will do just fine or one of the american wheat blends.

Just use what you got right now. It should be fine. After that batch you will know if you want a more fruity profile, or a cleaner profile in the beer and adjust for the next batch. You'll still have great beer, that's for sure!

edit: later you can get into wits, wheats, hefes, and so on. But for what your looking for right now just a clean wheat beer will be perfect.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

One more thought about adding fruit. I know I suggested adding it to the secondary, but I wanted to take that advice one step further..

Add the fruit AFTER the beer has been in secondary for two weeks. When doing my SOB, the beer started to get too orange-ish after only 24 hours with the zest. If I hadn't completely had my beer conditioned beforehand, I would've had to rack off to a third container in order to avoid excessive orange flavor. Instead, I was able to just siphon into the bottling bucket at the moment the beer was ready.

That's a much better way, IMHO, than having to siphon into a third container for conditioning. On the downside though, if you do wind up having to wait a week for your desired flavor profile, then that's one more week of waiting... but as I grow into this hobby more, I find that waiting an extra week isn't so bad... just so long as I have something else to drink in the interim...

Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #25
JeanLucD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah I c now drouillp, so I guess the already fruityness of a German heffe, due to the yeast, would be why you wouldn't really want to add any fruit to it - because it would mask the complexities of flavour created?

And to Toot, I'll definetly take that in mind, cos I really wouldn't want to rack off to a tertiary cos I am lazy prick, haha, but I think I'd be able to live with an extra week - often once I've put a beer/cider into the 2ndary I tend to forget it a bit, and I think it'll happen especially easy this year now that I'm at uni, the weeks just fly by.

I do need something to drink during the wait though... I have a feeling my applejack isn't gonna last a few nights of drinking, let alone 6 weeks. *sigh* I guess I'll have to drink commercial stuff

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Quick Reply