Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > If/When I should add lemon to Wheat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I don't recommend any fruit with a German Hefe Weizen...I couldn't care less what you do to an American Wheat...

...Amen...

It ruins the head, imo.

One suggestion is to try those really citrusy lemony hops like Oh what's that one developed by Sapporo? GRRR....

Sorachi Ace, that's the one. Use about a half oz or so as a finishing hop and that should give you the flavor you are looking for. Also make it American Hefe

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucD
my hotwater cupboard should be quite warm.
How warm are you thinking?

I wouldn't go higher than 21°C

That would be high in the style range. Any higher and you'll be making some strong fusel alcohols. Think hangover after one beer.

Had a pumpkin beer ferment in the 75°F range, whooooaa buddy that sucker gave one hell of a headache after just one pint.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
BarryNL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucD
Now I'm not sure what I should actually add to give this lemon flavour, whether I should add just lemon juice at the beginnning, or during 2ndary, or zest or even just cut up fruit in the 2ndary. Maybe I should try and infuse the lemon into the water at the beginning, by putting some cut up lemons into boiling water. I am really thoroughly confused, and unsure on which way will be easiest or best, or maybe I'm tottaly off the mark.
Mostly wheat beer gets served with a slice of lemon in the glass. I wouldn't bother adding it to the brew - just add a bit of fresh lemon when you serve it.
Drinking: Abbey Daze, Best of 2008

Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 AM   #14
JeanLucD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drouillp
How warm are you thinking?

I wouldn't go higher than 21°C

That would be high in the style range. Any higher and you'll be making some strong fusel alcohols. Think hangover after one beer.

Had a pumpkin beer ferment in the 75°F range, whooooaa buddy that sucker gave one hell of a headache after just one pint.
Ooo.. well I do like to keep it around 18°C, and luckily it has suddenly gotten a lot colder, so I don't think I'll have to use the old wet towel/bucket trick which I find such a pain in the arse. I definetly don't want fusel alcohols, thankfully I haven't experienced the effects of them, and I plan to keep it that way. I like my head headache free, hehe. Should I go up to 20 °C to get more fruityness tho or just stick to 18ish? I almost wonder if my thermometer stickers are actually any good - I feel like I should get a proper one, but then thats just another cost...

I'm pretty sure now that I won't b using any lemon, unless I screw this brew up (which I doubt I will ) and I'm not quite at the stage yet where I'm boiling in the hops - I'm still using kits *gasp*, I know... I said it... the k word. I don't think I've got the equipment yet for even partial boils, cos our elements on our stove are those ****ty electric ones - damn backwards New Zealand, where's the gas at!?! Not to mention the fact that I'm a somewhat poor uni (collage) kid - living on a student benefit .

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #15
King of the Swill
Recipes 

Try a slice of an orange in the glass to get a great flavor. I use a lemon sometimes and an orange sometimes...gives a little different taste. Just don't use so much that it ruins the beer flavor or it will turn into a girly drink.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Personally I like a fresh citrus in a wheat beer, I think it brings out flavor.

Just saw you sig, about Lubbock, let me tell you thats the truth about that town mainly because of the freakishly high STD rate. I lived there for 2 years.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #17
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I don't recommend any fruit with a German Hefe Weizen...I couldn't care less what you do to an American Wheat...
Took the words out of my mouth

No fruit in my beer, unless it is from Mexico, and that's a slice of lime to keep the flies out of the bottle.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #18
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I remember this one bar that served an orange slice on a blue moon, that's the only time I've seen it. It was ok, but could've done without the orange imo. An American wheat, sure, I don't like those anyway so why not add some fruit. A german hefe? No chance any fruit is touching that beer.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
No fruit in my beer, unless it is from Mexico, and that's a slice of lime to keep the flies out of the bottle.

I think coffee just came out my nose

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
woosterhoot
Recipes 

Default Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtg
In Germany, young people also like to add Pepsi or Coke to the hefes for a bit of a carmel like flavor...I never felt like it would be something that I'd try but young teen age Germans liked it...
I never thought about it before, but when i was in Munich they never served lemon in the beer just with the schnitzel. Here its very common.

Quick Reply