Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > If I modified the boil volume what will that effect

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Erockg13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default If I modified the boil volume what will that effect

Hi I'm a home brewing beginner and I have a question. I've been looking at recipes and some are wanting the pre boil volume to be 4 1/2 gallons and some call for 2, 3, etc. now I have a brew kettle that is 20 QTs so doing anything over 3 gallons is asking for trouble. I was wondering what the harm if any would be if I were to just do the same recipe with the modified boil volume adding water to a 2 gallon recipe to make it 3 and also subtracting from a recipe that calls for a 4 1/2 boil volume to 3 gallons. I'm brewing 5 gallon batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erockg13 View Post
Hi I'm a home brewing beginner and I have a question. I've been looking at recipes and some are wanting the pre boil volume to be 4 1/2 gallons and some call for 2, 3, etc. now I have a brew kettle that is 20 QTs so doing anything over 3 gallons is asking for trouble. I was wondering what the harm if any would be if I were to just do the same recipe with the modified boil volume adding water to a 2 gallon recipe to make it 3 and also subtracting from a recipe that calls for a 4 1/2 boil volume to 3 gallons. I'm brewing 5 gallon batches.
Yes, you can do that. There are some issues with reducing the boil size, but nothing insurmountable.

The first is simply that a concentrated boil produces more maillard reactions. Those are reactions, like the browning of bread and making toast, that are similar to caramelization. An easy way around that is to add the majority of the extract at flame out, at the end of the boil as it's boiling that causes those darkening reactions. That way, the beer has less of a "cooked extract" taste and more of a traditional beer flavor.

The other impact is hops utilization. Not so much the actual utilization, as the hops oils will isomerize for bitterness anyway, but if you're making a beer designed for a 5 gallon boil and boiling only 1/2 of it and topping up with water, in a few cases where the bitterness and hopping are high, you will be diluting the bittering units. That isn't a problem in many beers, but in beers where the bitterness is imperative, like in an IPA or Imperial IPA, or a barleywine, then that can be an issue.

Otherwise, you should be just fine with boiling as much as you can, and adding the majority of the extract at the end of the boil instead of at the beginning.

I'd suggest using a pound of extract, more or less as it's not exact, for every gallon of water in the boil. That will also give you more room in the pot for your 1 hour boil.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 316

If you are careful with the heat you apply, you won't boil off as much.
Some recipes seem to expect you to have the heat on full blast all the time boiling off a great deal of water.

Quick Reply