Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'd add wyeast 1318 to the "need a blow off" list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I'd add wyeast 1318 to the "need a blow off" list

I thought I'd only use a airlock on my 6-gal carboy, but last night I saw the fermentation reaching the top of the carboy after about 24 hrs of fermentation. I switched to a blow off, and when i checked back today (after 48 hours) there was tons of stuff in the blow off tube.

Anyway, I've had blow offs like this with wheat beers, but this is the first I've had for non-wheat (about 6 batches). Just thought I'd post this in case anyone searches on 1318 London Ale III in the future.

I'll probably just always do blow off from now on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Usually is a safe practice to use a blowoff for the first 3 days. Especially if your og is above .070 and you've used a starter. Doesn't matter the strain of yeast. What matters is the sugar and viability and amount of yeast.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm still a newbie, but I have always used a blowoff for primary then switched to a bubbler airlock for secondary.
I use the large bore tubing that fits directly into the carboy neck that came with my NB deluxe kit. I took a one gallon pickle jar, cut a hole in the lid, and use it for the blow off water container- I use star-san.

I haven't had a blow off yet, but.......
Pez.

Quick Reply