Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ice cubes to cool wort ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ice cubes to cool wort ?

Hi fellow brewers,

I cool my wort down with a copper coil , getting 6 gallons down to 25 deg C in 15 minutes. It clearly takes longer and longer to get any cooler, due to Newton's laws of cooling, mainly...

So could I throw into the wort a load of ice cubes made from bottled water to get it down to around 10 deg C ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will bet myself a beer that Revvy will reply to this thread.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
snarkattack
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sanitation issues are the big concern. The inside of your freezer is scary with bacteria like most places in your home, you just don't notice it because everything in there is kept cold enough to put beasties in hibernation. Warm it up and toss it in nice nutrient rich wort, though...

I've thought about bagging up some ice, giving the bags a soak in star san, then using them to get from 90F down to whatever, but I've never had the guts.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have used ice cubes before - without those precautions - and it has worked out OK - but recklessness always catches up to you eventually, so I am not entirely sure if I will be doing it again...

Another possibility - sanitize a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle, fill it 2/3 of the way with boiled water that has cooled slightly (enough not to damage the plastic), seal it, freeze that, and then just cut away the plastic and throw your gigantor ice cube in. If your wort gets cool enough and its still floating around, just fish it out...

Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've sanitized a large tupperware container, filled it with boiled and cooled water, and then frozen it into a big ice chunk. I put that ice chunk into the wort to cool it. It was a bit of a pain, since I had to boil, cool and then freeze the water, but it worked pretty decently.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aww I'm guess Revvy didn't post since I said that. Oh well I guess I gotta buy myself a beer.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Get yourself a submersible pump. After you get down around 90F or so (whenever you start really losing cooling capacity), stick that bad boy in a bucket of ice, hook it up to your chiller, and recirc the water back into the bucket. Then sit back and watch your wort chill FAST (don't get too comfortable).

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

People Like This 
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg View Post
I've sanitized a large tupperware container, filled it with boiled and cooled water, and then frozen it into a big ice chunk. I put that ice chunk into the wort to cool it. It was a bit of a pain, since I had to boil, cool and then freeze the water, but it worked pretty decently.
Yup, I do the same, except with 4 chunks each time. It's dirt cheap, doesn't take much time and works quite well. It may not be as quick as a plate or counterflow chiller, but it certainly beats ice baths.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks, everybody, I was going to sterilise some 2 litre lemonade bottles, fill them with bottled water and freeze them, then cut away the plastic and toss the giant ice cube in. Then brain engaged, so I will buy a one gallon plastic bottle of water, freeze that, cut away the plastic and toss that in...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
Thanks, everybody, I was going to sterilise some 2 litre lemonade bottles, fill them with bottled water and freeze them, then cut away the plastic and toss the giant ice cube in. Then brain engaged, so I will buy a one gallon plastic bottle of water, freeze that, cut away the plastic and toss that in...
Just a thought, but before you cut away the plastic, hit the frozen block with a hammer to break up the ice. Smaller chunks=more surface area, which means cooling more wort.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply