Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IBU's don't match up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
brigbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default IBU's don't match up

I bought a CDA kit (extract with steeping grains) from homebrewstuff and decided to plug it into iBrewmaster to see how the stats measured up with the sheet they sent along in the box. ABV, SRM and gravity matched up pretty closely, but while the recipe had the IBU's at 81, my software gave me 97.5. 20 points off is enough to make the difference between good and drinkable, so I'm wondering what the deal is. I just got iBrewmaster a couple weeks back and this is my second brew with it. Any suggestions or ideas?

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are doing partial boils you will loose some hop utilization due to the density of the wort, vs a full boil.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

could have used a different formula and with it being an extract full or partial boil would matter

Kegged empty

Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do full boil. Would the recipe from homebrewstuff assume that I'm doing partial? I haven't seen anything in iBrewmaster that can calculate for partial boil yet, so I'm assuming that it's assuming full boil. That would account for it. I'll reduce the bittering hops by 30% and see what happens.

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
GotPushrods
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are various models that attempt to predict the IBUs, ie Rager, Tinseth. They may have used a different model with slightly different inputs, but in the end it doesn't really matter. They are just models. You'd have to get the finished product to a lab to know anyway... And it's often shockingly off at higher IBUs.

We can only perceive so much bitterness (I've seen 80-100 as the limit). After that we are perceiving flavors and aromas from the extra hops, but our taste buds are on bitter-overload. I would just go with it and not worry about the numbers. If you use the same ingredients as the recipe, you are brewing the beer that was intended in the first place.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

the AAU % on the hops in the kit may be diferent from what you have set on !brewmaster. You should be able to change waht is on !brewmaster to match what is on the package that the hops came in.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Quick Reply