I won my first brewing competition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalAngler

Reaction score
I entered a Saison in a local homebrew competition. It was a Strong Saison with a total ABV of 8%. The alcohol is well hidden behind the yeast and slight orange peel/grains of paradise flavors. The recipe is a Frankenstein of various recipes I picked up here. I was pretty proud of the result and I've been drinking it for weeks since I submitted it and obviously I agree with their pick. :) Without a doubt I couldn't have brewed this beer without the tremendous amount of information I gathered from this site.

Unfortunately for my wife this puts some fuel in my fire to step up my brewing. I'm a partial mash brewer so I'm pretty motivated to move to all grain now.

The recipe:

Brewing Method: Partial Mash – Stovetop Method
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons

7lbs LME (3.5lbs 60 minutes, 3.5lbs 15 minutes late addition)
2lbs German Pilsen
.75lbs Munich
.5lbs Flaked Red Wheat
*1lb table sugar (added after primary fermentation)
1.5oz Saaz 3.9% 60 minutes
1oz Saaz 3.9% 15 minutes
.5oz Saaz 3.9% 5 minutes
.4oz Sweet Orange Peel 5 minutes
2gm crushed Grains of Paradise 5 minutes
1/4 tablet Whirlfloc 5 minutes
1/2tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient 5 minutes
Yeast: Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison
OG: 1.066 (including table sugar)
FG: 1.007
Estimated ABV after bottle conditioning: 7.9%

*When primary fermentation slows in 4-5 days add the 1lb table sugar. Use just enough boiled water to dissolve the sugar. I used 3 cups of water.

It's a bit unnerving to send your brew out to be judged. I wasn't expecting much although I knew my beer hit the flavor well and the fact the high ABV was hidden helped, too. I figured at the very least I would get a judging sheet back with some helpful criticism.

So you got first? Best in Show? what was the competition? And congrats!

I got first in the Saison category. They judged in three categories, 16A. Witbier, 16C. Saison, and 18C. Belgian Trippel.

I'm not sure how many entries there were until I pick up my score sheet in a few days. It was hosted by my LHBS in conjunction with the local homebrew club.

Congrats!

Was this for Gold Country Brewers? (I noticed you're local to me...I'm new around here, and was thinking of checking them out)

Oh pleeeease tell me this was entered into the Nevada County fair!! I figure Roseville is close enough... I've been wanting to enter in that one for a bit now.

Congratulations! Awesome beer can be made using partial mash on a stove :rockin:

Congrats!

Was this for Gold Country Brewers? (I noticed you're local to me...I'm new around here, and was thinking of checking them out)

Yeah I talked to the president of Gold Country Brewers during the CA Brewers Festival. I asked him which LHBS they support and when he said Folsom Brewmeisters I mentioned I entered the Saison. He said he was going to be one of the judges so that was cool. I'm not a member, but if I'm going to join a club then that's the one.

@Reno_eNVy_446: Nope, a LHBS in Folsom, CA called Folsom Brewmeisters. A county/state fair medal would be an amazing honor. Maybe someday.

Congrats man! I just got my scorecards back from entering beers into my first competition yesterday and the feedback is awesome to learn from! My beers weren't good enough to win like yours but maybe one day :mug:

Excellent...congratulations. Now send it off the Nationals, Sam Adams Longshot, etc. and pick up some more hardware.

Congrats on the win! I won best in Show with the first beer I ever brewed, so I have an idea how it feels as well.. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations, but I thought Saison beers were low alcohol. :confused:

I used 1lb of table sugar in a similar recipe and you can really taste the flavor of the fermented sugar.

Congrats! That's awesome. I haven't worked up the nerve to send my beer to competition yet. I know I should though if only for the feedback.

Congratulations, but I thought Saison beers were low alcohol. :confused:

I used 1lb of table sugar in a similar recipe and you can really taste the flavor of the fermented sugar.

Not all saisons are low alcohol. Dupont has an excellent example of the style that comes in around 9%.

As for using sugar, you should make sure it is balanced. And really, most of the time I've noticed cidery flavors it is from lack of temp control and not from sugar, unless too much was used for that recipe.

Not all saisons are low alcohol. Dupont has an excellent example of the style that comes in around 9%.

As for using sugar, you should make sure it is balanced. And really, most of the time I've noticed cidery flavors it is from lack of temp control and not from sugar, unless too much was used for that recipe.

So what is the definition of a saison then?

That's right, there are varying strengths of the style per BJCP, but pure BJCP guidelines say mine is classified as a Belgian Specialty 16E. Here is the section that refers to strengths:

Comments: Varying strength examples exist (table beers of about 5% strength, typical export beers of about 6.5%, and stronger versions of 8%+). Strong versions (6.5%-9.5%) and darker versions (copper to dark brown/black) should be entered as Belgian Specialty Ales (16E). Sweetness decreases and spice, hop and sour character increases with strength. Herb and spice additions often reflect the indigenous varieties available at the brewery. High carbonation and extreme attenuation (85-95%) helps bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish. All of these beers share somewhat higher levels of acidity than other Belgian styles while the optional sour flavor is often a variable house character of a particular brewery."

I knew my Saison was outside the BJCP guidelines for the strength and I talked about it with the guys running the competition when I dropped it off. They said it may get marked down, but they will judge it and provide feedback at the very least.

So what is the definition of a saison then?

Are you thinking about "session" beers? A session, in my understanding, is a beer that's light enough in flavor and body (alcohol) so you can enjoy several (4-5?) in a sitting. A Saison is a style of beer that originated in France/Belgiaum, which is fermented at high temp with a particular strain of yeast that imparts a fruit ester. Generally they're a little higher in alcohol and I can't drink but one or two in a sitting.

Are you thinking about "session" beers? A session, in my understanding, is a beer that's light enough in flavor and body (alcohol) so you can enjoy several (4-5?) in a sitting. A Saison is a style of beer that originated in France/Belgiaum, which is fermented at high temp with a particular strain of yeast that imparts a fruit ester. Generally they're a little higher in alcohol and I can't drink but one or two in a sitting.

Yeah, I think I am but I did some searching and from what I have read so far originally they were to be a low ABV brewed by farmers for a refreshing beer for their workers but today that no longer applies. I guess the "rules" have changed.

Back