Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I winged it today: Galaxy Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
epistrummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I winged it today: Galaxy Pale Ale

Just threw the following ingredients together and hoping it turns out-

5 Gallon batch

6.6 lb light pilsener extract
1/3 lb amber DME

1 oz Galaxy @ 60 min
1 oz Galaxy @ 30 min
1 oz Galaxy @ 10 min
1 0z Galaxy @ flameout

pitched Safale US-05 yeast at 75 degrees, will ferment at 68 degrees for two weeks before racking to new carboy for add'l week, then bottle.

***Looking for anyone's input on this. From my recipe to the hop schedule. I mean, the beer is already brewed so I can't change what's done but I could take suggestions on dry hopping, I have lots of different kinds but wanted to dedicate this brew to just Galaxy to see what it would do. Not sure I want to dry hop though. We'll see what feedback I get on this.

Overdo everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2552 Times on 1502 Posts
Likes Given: 5738

I haven't ever used Galaxy, but I've currently got a pale ale going that was hop bursted with Motueka and is dry hopping with Nelson. It smells amazing right now. I would say dry hop with either of those two hops and you'll be good to go.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Personally I think Galaxy at anything before 15 is a bit of a waste because it's expensive and a wonderful flavor and aroma addition. Not saying it won't be a great beer but I would have gone with a cheap neutral bittering hop addition at 60 and pumped in the Galaxy 15-flameout. You're in for a treat, I love these hops.

I hate Walder Frey...

SmokeNbrew Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm kicking around a Galaxy version of the Centennial Blonde recipe that is here on HBT. Can't get enough of this hop. I bet your brew will be tasty!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Smell it and taste it when it's ready to go to secondary. If you're not getting what you want as far as aroma consider adding .5-1 oz. dry hop then smell and taste it again after a few days. I love Galaxy for late/dry hop additions.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just brewed with Galaxy during the weekend and I would have used a bit less at the beginning and a bit more at the end but that's me. I had just spent time reading through Thornbridge Kipling and Jaipur recipes and they pretty much add 4 times more hops in the last 10 minutes than during the entire boil...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
epistrummer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Personally I think Galaxy at anything before 15 is a bit of a waste because it's expensive and a wonderful flavor and aroma addition. Not saying it won't be a great beer but I would have gone with a cheap neutral bittering hop addition at 60 and pumped in the Galaxy 15-flameout. You're in for a treat, I love these hops.
I thought about using a different hop for bittering actually. Maybe if I decide I like the Galaxy flavor I will use Magnum at 60 min and start the Galaxy hop schedule at 15 min- flameout as you suggested, on a future batch. I was going for a layered flavor profile with the hops and just guessed at the schedule, really. Which is partly why I'm thinking about dry hopping to add an extra layer of flavor/aroma to the brew.

Overdo everything.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
epistrummer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
I just brewed with Galaxy during the weekend and I would have used a bit less at the beginning and a bit more at the end but that's me. I had just spent time reading through Thornbridge Kipling and Jaipur recipes and they pretty much add 4 times more hops in the last 10 minutes than during the entire boil...
Wow, thats an intense brew. Galaxy seems like a pretty strong hop to me and that's why I stopped at using 4 oz in this batch. Maybe the final product won't be as strong as I thought, and my future batches will weight the hop schedule toward the end and include even more hops, we'll just have to find out.

Overdo everything.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For Kipling it's Nelson, and something like this that I saw in another forum:

"85% Maris Otter (Low Colour)
7.5% Munich
7.5% Torrified Wheat

60 minute boil

Start of boil: Nelson Sauvin, about 27 IBUs
After 30 mins: Nelson Sauvin, about 15 IBUs, same size as first addition
Flameout/Hopback: Nelson Sauvin, three times as much as the first addition"

They apparently take a while before starting to cool the brew so the flameout hops get to leave some flavour in.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
"85% Maris Otter (Low Colour)
7.5% Munich
7.5% Torrified Wheat

Start of boil: Nelson Sauvin, about 27 IBUs
After 30 mins: Nelson Sauvin, about 15 IBUs, same size as first addition
Flameout/Hopback: Nelson Sauvin, three times as much as the first addition"
This looks good but again with the fancy expensive hops as a bittering addition. It will work fine, just seems like a waste to me if you're paying more than two dollars an ounce (I think I saw them for $3.5 at NB) for a ounce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistrummer View Post
I thought about using a different hop for bittering actually. Maybe if I decide I like the Galaxy flavor I will use Magnum at 60 min and start the Galaxy hop schedule at 15 min- flameout as you suggested, on a future batch. I was going for a layered flavor profile with the hops and just guessed at the schedule, really. Which is partly why I'm thinking about dry hopping to add an extra layer of flavor/aroma to the brew.
That's what I would do, actually I think that is exactly what I did except I combined Galaxy and Cascade with a magnum bittering addition which is great BTW. If you want a lot of flavor I think the general rule is 15-10 minutes. If you want aroma 10-0 minutes. Obviously if you want both combine.

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply