New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I want more malty flavor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
NitrouStang96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I want more malty flavor.

So I have this beer that has some characteristics not unlike a Karl Strauss Amber Lager. But mine is certainly a bit less sweet and malty. So I got to thinking I would use 50% more amber DME next time. And then I got to thinking that maybe this wouldn't increase my malty flavor but maybe only increase the alcohol content.

I'm not quite sure, being new and all. Help me out! Can I just up the DME for more malty flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Using more malt will indeed increase the malty flavor AS WELL AS the alcohol content. You should maybe shoot for an extra 5 or 10 gravity points. You can also get more malt flavor by using some of the caramel malts like Vienna or Munich. The final possibility is backing off on the hops. It will let more of the malt character shine through.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks! Can you steep Munich? I know you can't steep Vienna... If you can't steep Munich, is there something else I can steep for more malt flavor, like Crystal 10L?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrouStang96
Thanks! Can you steep Munich? I know you can't steep Vienna... If you can't steep Munich, is there something else I can steep for more malt flavor, like Crystal 10L?
Who says you can't steep Vienna? Steeped Vienna is in many good recipes. And you can steep Munich. If you want a honey-like flavor, stick with steeping the light crystals like the 10L you mentioned. If you want a more caramel-like flavor, go darker like the 60L.

Also, make sure you appropriately adjust the DME or LME you use to hit the OG that you want.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Vienna and Munich are malted barley just like 2-row or 6-row or pilsner malt. They should be mashed in order to convert their starch content into sugars and impart that malty flavour. If you steep them you will get little flavour and alot of unfermentable starch. Crystal malt can be steeped. The starches have already been converted into sugar and then caramelized to varying degrees.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Try steeping with Aromatic Malt and Melanoiden Malt. I prefer them to any crystal malts, better malt flavor IMO.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
Vienna and Munich are malted barley just like 2-row or 6-row or pilsner malt. They should be mashed in order to convert their starch content into sugars and impart that malty flavour. If you steep them you will get little flavour and alot of unfermentable starch. Crystal malt can be steeped. The starches have already been converted into sugar and then caramelized to varying degrees.
Right. Unfermentable starch is what makes the beer a little thicker without really upping the alcohol no?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768
Right. Unfermentable starch is what makes the beer a little thicker without really upping the alcohol no?
Unfermentable complex sugars is what makes beer heavier. Plain starches will make your beer cloudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrouStang96
So I have this beer that has some characteristics not unlike a Karl Strauss Amber Lager. But mine is certainly a bit less sweet and malty. So I got to thinking I would use 50% more amber DME next time. And then I got to thinking that maybe this wouldn't increase my malty flavor but maybe only increase the alcohol content.

I'm not quite sure, being new and all. Help me out! Can I just up the DME for more malty flavor?
I do not know what yeast you are using, but I would recommend a yeast that attenuates less, like WLP002/1968. It leaves more residual sugar and gives the beer a sweeter/heavier taste.
Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
I do not know what yeast you are using, but I would recommend a yeast that attenuates less, like WLP002/1968. It leaves more residual sugar and gives the beer a sweeter/heavier taste.
Ah, excellent. This sounds like the best route for what I am trying to achieve. Actually, it sounds perfect, so thanks! I have been using Nottingham. I have heard here that it attenuates well (75-80% ?) - how far does WLP002/1968 attenuate?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Wyeast 1968 attenuates to about 69%, I believe. It is the yeast from Fuller's - that gives you an idea of some of its flavour characteristics.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Quick Reply