Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > i want to make a very special beer any suggestion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
darkmastiff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default i want to make a very special beer any suggestion?

Hi in november i will be Godfather of my only nephew, in Mexico this is a great tradition and great honor for me, because that i want to make a very special beer to enjoy with all my family that day, but the majority of my family don´t liked stroger beers like barely wine, porter or stout because that i have in mind make a Dunkelweizen, so you think that is a good option? any suggestion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's a pretty complex beer for most folks, if they don't like the beers you mentioned, would they necessarily like something with bubblegum, banana and and clovey flavors derived from the yeasts?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Or maybe an American Pale Ale (APA)? Those aren't strong or too hoppy. I like making them for get-together's. Easier to drink.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

I was thinking that the beer style that was single handedly rescued from near obscurity by Mexican brewers, the Vienna Lager. Which I am really grateful form mi hermanos in Mexico for saving, since it's become one of my favorite beer styles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

First off congrats on becoming a Nino, that is a special occassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I was thinking that the beer style that was single handedly rescued from near obscurity by Mexican brewers, the Vienna Lager. Which I am really grateful form mi hermanos in Mexico for saving, since it's become one of my favorite beer styles.
I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery or a place that has some available?
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Exactly what I was going to suggest - Vienna Lager. Generally a crowd pleaser I've found, plus the whole historical/cultural ties there.

Quote:
I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery that sells this?
Two of my favorites are Eliot Ness from Great Lakes and Toasted Lager from Blue Point. Not sure if you can find either in CO. Also I believe Sam Adams Boston Lager is a Vienna, but not really a typical one according to style.

Last edited by Bmorebrew; 08-05-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added a response

Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
First off congrats on becoming a Nino, that is a special occassion.

I don't know if I have ever had a Vienna Lager, is there a brewery or a place that has some available?
August Schell Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Vienna style lager are my three favorite of that style.

There's also, Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

And my own version as well. (There's links to a couple or articles and podcasts that I used when I was researching mine in there.)

Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
August Schell Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Vienna style lager are my three favorite of that style.

There's also, Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner
Slightly off topic... but I've heard (and myself believed) that Trader Joe's = Gordon Biersch... Though maybe they slightly vary the recipes?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigidyjim View Post
Slightly off topic... but I've heard (and myself believed) that Trader Joe's = Gordon Biersch... Though maybe they slightly vary the recipes?
Some of their beers are GB...Not all but a few including the vienna. But I've wondered if it's the same recipe as their own version. Somehow I think they're going to be different. Since the trader joes beers are contract beers.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Sweet. Revvy likes Schells, i thought i was the only one,those beers are great, i love the Rauchbeer,Hoppenwhatever, rice farmhouse.never tried the firebrick,damn i thought it was cheap i passed it up for a water at a resturaant so i could go home and try some other new ones.Plus i passed up the pilsner with a torpedo tonight (which i dont regret) pils can be pretty heavily sweet sometimes,and got a bunch of wheats,ever tried Lakefronts Monkey wheat? very stangely good.

Quick Reply