Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I want to brew a Budweiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default I want to brew a Budweiser.

I don' like full bodied ales and prefer a fizzier, light coloured easy to drink beer like what I am used to. And my wife likes it and my friends all drink it by the bucketful.

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
Okay, not really but to show I am not always an EAC here’s some pointers for those that do.

Millions of people like to drink Bud/Miller/Coors (BMC) style beers. These beers are loosely grouped under the style of American Pilsners although they have little in common to a true Pilsner. They are light in colour and body and lightly hopped.

So how is it made?

Well Beer is made from Water, Malt, Hops and Yeast. The main addition to this is the use of corn or rice because it is cheap, adds very little body, colour or flavour to the beer, which is what gives it its properties. The corn and rice is unmalted so relies on the enzymes from the malted barley to convert the starch from the rice/corn to fermentable sugars. Because of this 6 row barley is used because of its higher diastic properties. To help beer production take less space instead of brewing lots of weak beer some of the breweries brew a stronger beer and then water it down at production.

If you are going to try this then you should be aware that because there are no heavy or strong flavours and off flavours caused by method or ingredients will show through and not be masked so fresh ingredients should be used.

Malt:
UK 2 row pale malts are generally to dark for pilsners and don’t have enough diastic power, so a US 2 row or German Pilsner 2 row can be used. 6 row has a grainier profile than 2 row hence the reason for using some 2 row.

Adjuncts:
To get Corn into the mash then you can use; Flaked maize which is pre-gelatinised and add it to your mash. Corn syrup can be added late to the kettle. You can also use corn grits but they need a separate mash. The same goes for flaked maize, rice syrup and rice grits.

Hops:
Obviously a lot off American hops are used although some foreign styles of hops are grown domestically as well as some imports are used. Importantly the bitterness is low at around 10-14 IBU.

Yeast:
Obviously a lager yeast is the best bet. It’s difficult to tell what the big boys use bit an American Lager yeast is a good choice, like Wyeast 2035 os similar.

So far we have an outline of the beer.

OG 1040 - 1045
FG 1005 – 1007
SRM - ~ 2-4
IBU 10-14
ABV 4-5%

So from the info above we can put a list together.

2 row pale or pilsner malt
6 row pale palt
Rice or Corn adjunct
Hops from the list of : Noble, Cascade, Willamette, Spalt, Newport, Sterling and a few others.
Yeast. Lager, American, Wyeast 2035.

A good clean tasting water is a must especially if you plan to brew strong and water it down. Sterilised water can help with this but you’ll need to add brewing salts to it. You can also use Camden tablets to take out chloramines and boil to remove chlorine.

Now that info above is well is enough to get you well in the way to understanding how to brew a BMC style beer.

Now this is where the EAC bit comes in. I’d say it’s all toooo much effort and it’s much easier toy just go buy a case for $20 dollars or what ever it costs and use your brew time to brew a Real Ale worth the effort. But because I’m in a good mood here’s a little more info.

You need to mash for a highly fermentable wort, which means at the lower end of the mashing scale maybe 150-152 or if you have the inclination ability to step mash then do some lower temp steps with a rest at 140 really helping to get a dry beer. I’m no expert on step mashes so can’t really help more than that.

With sparging clarity is important so fly sparging can help or at least returning plenty of the first mash back to the mash when batch sparging. You need to be careful not to sparge bellow around 1010.

A good boil is required to make sure you boil off any DMS and allow a good hot break.

That’s enough for now. If any one who is less of an EAC wants to pick up on the actual recipes, hop additions, fermenting ageing and carbing schedules please feel free.

Important SUPER CHILL it or it'll taste like crap because you'll actually taste it.

I’m off for a Real Beer.
Well as you can see, brewing a Bud is not really a viable option for most hombrewers, especially noobs.
But if you really must and feel the need, I'd look at this for an option. There is a down side. It may be better than Bud and you may have to suffer some taste in the beer. (What a shame)

Budweiser Clone (BYO)
by Karl Glarner Jr.

This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering
required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5
gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

Here's some more

Recommended recipe - I dried the crap out of this one...

http://www.thehomebrewstore.com/HBS001.htm
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-8.html
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/02_25.html

Last edited by Orfy; 02-28-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Orfy, you have gone officially mad

Drink a Goblin for me will ya?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

You know Zoeb, I might just do that.

I think I may have some somewhere.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Pedro-

Recipes 

Default Better yet

just buy a pony, degass, rack to corny, tell unwitting friends it is 'homebrew'.

important: remind them of all the trouble you went through to brew such a difficult beer and lager it.

if they say it tastes like sh*t, you know they can't tell pisswater from pissbeer.

if they say, "Hey that's great!" at least you have a few extra bucks and more time for better beer. And with them around since you have piss, they will be more inclined to eventually try better beer with every visit.

Good write up orfy, now all EACs can just reply to the dail/weekly request for BMC recipes to search for "want brew budweiser" in the forum. simple enough.

i was wondering if you either had gone soft or were playing april fools a month early with that first sentence!

cheers!

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
If you are going to try this then you should be aware that because there are no heavy or strong flavours and off flavours caused by method or ingredients will show through and not be masked so fresh ingredients should be used.
Truth be told, BMC is probably one of the most difficult styles for a homebrewer, for this reason. I think it would be extremely difficult for an extract brewer to achieve the "correct" color, and it would require excellent quality control for any brewer to brew a beer with very little malt character and very low hop bitterness and flavor without detectable flaws.

I guess it's hard for me to see why anyone would bother at all: it's a lot of effort and expense to achieve a result that can be puchased at the store for less.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

I am hoping this thread can be used to deal with the uneducated serious request and put people on the right path. The write up is enough to show people what's involved and if they want to proceed a few cut and paste recipes will suffice.
May be a few "Better" alternates like an easy IPA or lawnmower ale should help those who realise the error of their ways.

Last edited by Orfy; 02-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Don't forget the beechwood in the lagering phase. I just watched ultimate factories on National Geographic channel and I watch the guys get into the horizontal tank to rake out all the wood before pumping the beer in.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

um... I'm speechless...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Also, don't forget to spend millions of dollars on advertising.

Hire a George Clooney impersonator to say, "This is," [insert name here] "'s Budweiser clone. This is Beer."

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Don't forget the beechwood in the lagering phase. I just watched ultimate factories on National Geographic channel and I watch the guys get into the horizontal tank to rake out all the wood before pumping the beer in.

You know funny thing, I was listening to a podcast once that claims this is the exact reason (beechwood aging) that they have long term stability problems and one of the reasons behing the whole "freshness" campaign.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply