The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I took it out of primary before the fermentation had finished fermenting WHat to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
CaptainCool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I took it out of primary before the fermentation had finished fermenting WHat to do?

I'm a beginner brewer and I think i may have made a big noob mistake.. I make cider and i used champagne yeast before but more recently i got some Safale S-04 yeast and used it for the first time.. I also used a hydrometer for the first time... I got a reading of 1.070 after pitching all my sugar.. So i expected it to come out around 9%abv.. It's been around 2-1/2 weeks now and i have heard about how quickly this yeast ferments that i just pitched it right to a secondary bucket before i got a hydrometer reading... but it's only at 1.024 now which if my calculations are correct is only 6.04%... I was a little careless and didn't realize that there was bubble action still going on in the airlock.. So i'm guess it didn't cut off early and can still finish fermentation... heres my questions..
-Should i go ahead and pitch it to secondary for 3 weeks or so? will it finish fermentation?
-or should i carefully put it back in to primary (without spreading the yeast around too much) until it finishes and then rack to secondary? it's only a 1 gallon glass carboy batch so i can be careful..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Just leave it in secondary, let it finish fermenting there, it will be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply