Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think my yeast is dead...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
jsweet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia
That looks like very alive yeast and a happy fermentation. Hydrating early won't hurt anything at all. Adding the dried DME was unnecessary, but also likely won't hurt anything.

-Joe
+1.

Your story sounds like a couple of my first few batches Nothing you did is fatal, honestly the biggest problem with the long cooling time is that it's a pain in the ass for you (there could be some effects on your beer too, but it's no biggie, don't sweat it). I got myself a wort chiller not so much for my beer, but so I could go to bed sooner!

That looks like about as much kraeusen as I would expect after 18 hours or however long you said it's been. You're doing great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, I stand corrected. I guess I have to learn when to shut my mouth about something I don't know anything about .

Sorry if I came off as an ass. Again, not my style.

Just educated myself on rehydrating: Rehydrating. Obviously it's quicker and easier than a starter... What are the advantages and drawbacks to both? Seems like it has a lot to do with the style of beer, and type of yeast?

Jim Koch recommends starters for any brew on the Sam Adams website. He clearly got homebrewing right lol.

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Next: Black Pepper ESB, Grapefruit Hefeweizen
Fermenting:"First Born" 123 Minute IIPA
Bottled/Kegged: "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextasy23 View Post
Well, I stand corrected. I guess I have to learn when to shut my mouth about something I don't know anything about lol.

Sorry if I came off as an ass. Again, not my style.

Just educated myself on rehydrating: Rehydrating. Obviously it's quicker and easier than a starter... What are the advantages and drawbacks to both? Seems like it has a lot to do with the style of beer, and type of yeast?

Jim Koch recommends starters for any brew on the Sam Adams website. He clearly got homebrewing right lol.
Even the brewing tech director at cooper's,along with many others,said never to use a starter for dry yeast. Some not even re-hydrate. They thought it'd ruin the nutrients on the yeast in the packet. I proved all that wrong quite conclusively,Including here. Not to be a wise-guy or anything.
Re-hydrating works to get the yeast active again. My small starter (again,for average gravity brews) gets them active & reproducing in a few hours. More time as gravity of the wort goes up. When I use a starter for one of my pale ales,it gets a vigorous fermentation going in a few hours,rather than days.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
braineater2448
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! Im much more confident in my beer now In fact, I went to check on the beer and sat and watched it for a couple minutes. About every 30 seconds a big bubble is released from the blowoff tube, so there is definitely fermentation going on in there.

And lextasy, no worries. No offense taken Glad you could learn a little today as well!

Can't wait until I can enjoy this stuff. Happy brewing!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Glad to help. This site has helped me when I got back into home made alkyhol. I made wines from my teens through my 20's.
These days,I like beer better,sooo...nature gave me a second chance. lolz. I just like to give something back to those that need it,as we did in the beginning.

Quick Reply