Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I'm done with WYeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As with all things brewing patience is key. Dry yeast is great and I use it a lot, but liquid is essential if you want to brew diverse styles. I use wyeast a ton and it's not uncommon for a smack pack to sit in my fridge for a couple months for one reason or another and I've never had a problem getting them going. It might be tough to use this as a gauge if you don't have a lot of experience, but I can usually tell if my starter has fermented out in the night by what the sediment looks like. If your starter is done, you should have a nice clean-looking layer of fresh yeast on the cake.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I just checked it and this one is officially a dud. I may have to order my Wyeast off the web like someone suggested. I'm in KS so it's normally only 2 day shipping from TX.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I used wyeast that I bought online . It was summer time and it got here about three days later but sat on the front porch about 100 degrees for hours . Was swelled up . I put it in the fridge and used it a few days later . It swelled up again which I had not expected it to do . It worked okay but the stuff is so slow to ferment I would consider it to be crap .
No I for some reason bought a pack from local store . I had it for a few months in fridge . I made a batch of dark ale yesterday . Smacked the pack and let it sit about 8 hours and it barley swelled at all . Pitched it anyway and today , no fermentation , no activity at all . I have some in a bottle to observe.
Just in case anyone uses plastic buckets . The lids do not seal up after a couple uses sometimes . Use good duct tape to seal it off and sometimes you will find that fermentation is going on .
Well off to my local brew pub at noon to ask them if they will sell me some yeast . If not I am going to go to the wine vinyard and get some wine yeast and use that.
No more Wyeast for me . Never had a problem with dry and it works in 4 days not a week or more .

Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I used wyeast that I bought online . It was summer time and it got here about three days later but sat on the front porch about 100 degrees for hours . Was swelled up . I put it in the fridge and used it a few days later . It swelled up again which I had not expected it to do . It worked okay but the stuff is so slow to ferment I would consider it to be crap .
No I for some reason bought a pack from local store . I had it for a few months in fridge . I made a batch of dark ale yesterday . Smacked the pack and let it sit about 8 hours and it barley swelled at all . Pitched it anyway and today , no fermentation , no activity at all . I have some in a bottle to observe.
Just in case anyone uses plastic buckets . The lids do not seal up after a couple uses sometimes . Use good duct tape to seal it off and sometimes you will find that fermentation is going on .
Well off to my local brew pub at noon to ask them if they will sell me some yeast . If not I am going to go to the wine vinyard and get some wine yeast and use that.
No more Wyeast for me . Never had a problem with dry and it works in 4 days not a week or more .
So you pitched the yeast, that was hanging out in your fridge for a couple of months, without making a starter and you've only waited <24 hours and are concerned about not seeing activity??? Have you NOT read about using liquid yeast yet?? You've done pretty much everything you're NOT supposed to do. You've NOT waited long enough (can take up to 72 hours to show sign), didn't make a starter with an older pack of yeast, and probably didn't oxygenate all that much (if at all). Give it another 2 days (72 hours from pitch) before you think it's a dud.

I typically have activity (as in hold onto your hats kiddies, you in for a BUMPY RIDE!!) in under 12 hours, BUT I do things right. I make starters for the batches (using yeastcalc.com to figure out what sizes to make), I oxygenate with pure O2, and I don't worry about things. I also use a temperature sensor to KNOW what's going on inside my fermenting vessel. Since airlocks (especially in buckets) are almost worthless as fermentation indicators.

Give it more time to come out of it's lag phase and then decide. Give it the full 72 hours before you go pitching different yeast in...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
I think you should have used a starter,especially with the red-flags you got. Ive only ever read,that (especially with 5 gallon batches), that its recommended to make a starter pretty much every time anyway if its over 1.05 OG using liquid yeasts. Even with a lower gravity,a pitching calc probably would recommend using 1.5-2 packs anyway, especially with an older date on it. On ones like that I would add yeast energizer and oxygenate very well at least. Poor yeast health/viability may show signs in the finished beer,but will still be beer and how good it is? is your own personal interpetation of it.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Golddiggie ; Yep I just tossed it in . I do think it was dead any way as the pack just would not swell up . I just do not think I need any yeast that has to be grown in a starter for how ever long that takes i forget , and then may take 72 hours to get going . I use dry yeast and simply rehydrate it for 15 minutes and toss it in wort that I either stir by hand or use a aerator to oxygenate and it gets going in a matter of hours usually and sometimes just goes plum nuts for some reason , must be the type of beer.
I went ahead and tossed in a pack of rehydrated quick rise bread yeast . it started up bubbling in about 5 hours . Hey what the heck people ask about that stuff all over and no one has a good answer so I may as well test it out and see how it goes .

Everyone have a nice Xmas or what ever you celebrate or if not then just have a great day

Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Good luck with the bread yeast?.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Faub007
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always had great luck with wyeast. I get them from northern brewer and have them shipped all the way to Texas.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Golddiggie ; Yep I just tossed it in . I do think it was dead any way as the pack just would not swell up . I just do not think I need any yeast that has to be grown in a starter for how ever long that takes i forget , and then may take 72 hours to get going . I use dry yeast and simply rehydrate it for 15 minutes and toss it in wort that I either stir by hand or use a aerator to oxygenate and it gets going in a matter of hours usually and sometimes just goes plum nuts for some reason , must be the type of beer.
I went ahead and tossed in a pack of rehydrated quick rise bread yeast . it started up bubbling in about 5 hours . Hey what the heck people ask about that stuff all over and no one has a good answer so I may as well test it out and see how it goes .

Everyone have a nice Xmas or what ever you celebrate or if not then just have a great day
I would have tossed the batch out before using BREAD yeast in it. Nasty... I can't see this ending well...

As for the Wyeast, you did everything wrong and blame the yeast for not getting going after a short amount of time... IMO/IME, 100% brewer error across the board. Even if you pitch an older pack, with a longer lag phase, without a starter, 98% of the time, it WILL get going. Using a starter means you WON'T have the lag time in fermenter. I've done starters with 10+ month old yeast that took off like a rocket in under 8 hours from pitching.

IMO, Wyeast (and White Labs) are better off without you using their products.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
People Like This 
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
raysmithtx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought 4 packs of Wyeast from my LHBS and they were all dead. No swelling of any of the packs. Pitched 2 of them anyway and after 3 days had zero activity. Bought 2 more and pitched them even though they didn't swell either. No activity after 3 days. I wondered if I had done something wrong so I pitched a dry yeast pack just to see. It went crazy after about 24 hours. My guess is that the Wyeast pack simply got too hot in transit to the LBHS since I live in Texas.

That batch that now has 5 packs of yeast in it is still sitting in my carboy after about 8 weeks. I just cant bring myself to dump it and am considering kegging it just to see how it turned out. No expecting good beer... just curious.

I was just pitching 2 packs of Wyeast instead of making a starter.

I now buy my Wyeast online with 'cold packs' and have not had a problem that way.

Lesson learned. I will always buy my Wyeast online and pay the extra 99 cents for a 'cold pack' and I will always make a starter just to be sure I have viable yeast to pitch. Plus it saves me the cost of an extra yeast pack.

Quick Reply