New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I'm done with WYeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #91
HopLife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I love this thread. Lots of experienced homebrewers and professionals talking realistically about how yeast effects beer. Ie: flavor, color, smell, floculation, attenuation, clarity. And a ton of noobs who think yeast is a simple issue. In one post somebody will complain about a beer being too sweet and then say that he likes his yeast. Hilarious. If your beer is not awesome, and you are simply dumping dry yeast in it will be hard to improve. Understanding the yeast life cycle and learning to nurture your yeast will give you the tools to fine tune your process to get a result you like.

At a minimum, for those of you using dry yeast, at least look into the importance of pre-hydrating the yeast, understanding its level of attenuation, its proper temp range and what types of esters the yeast will produce.

Good luck to all.

ps: There are a lot of mentions of US-05 on this forum. Surely a decent clean fermenting yeast. I challenge anyone who uses this yeast to ferment a beer with wyeast 1272 at 68 degrees and tell me the flavor isn't cleaner, you didn't achieve the same attenuation and the real benefit is that this yeast flocculates extremely well when given a wort that has undergone a strong boil.

meh.

Golddiggie Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #92
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
I love this thread. Lots of experienced homebrewers and professionals talking realistically about how yeast effects beer. Ie: flavor, color, smell, floculation, attenuation, clarity. And a ton of noobs who think yeast is a simple issue. In one post somebody will complain about a beer being too sweet and then say that he likes his yeast. Hilarious. If your beer is not awesome, and you are simply dumping dry yeast in it will be hard to improve. Understanding the yeast life cycle and learning to nurture your yeast will give you the tools to fine tune your process to get a result you like.

At a minimum, for those of you using dry yeast, at least look into the importance of pre-hydrating the yeast, understanding its level of attenuation, its proper temp range and what types of esters the yeast will produce.

Good luck to all.

ps: There are a lot of mentions of US-05 on this forum. Surely a decent clean fermenting yeast. I challenge anyone who uses this yeast to ferment a beer with wyeast 1272 at 68 degrees and tell me the flavor isn't cleaner, you didn't achieve the same attenuation and the real benefit is that this yeast flocculates extremely well when given a wort that has undergone a strong boil.
IMO/IME, yeast selection is just as important (more so in many cases) than any other single ingredient in a batch. The only thing that comes close to being as important (or maybe even equal) is the water you brew with. Not taking care with either will give you less than desired results without blinking. I filter my water at home (under sink unit) that gives me great brews. I also know how to yeast wrangle, to get the best from the beautiful beasties...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
HopLife Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply