New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > i think i screwed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
morganm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions
By The flavoring hops you put in 12 min early, was that the 30 min addition? I see that recipe calls for a 60min, 30min and end of boil addition.

Based on that recipe and having boiled the bittering hops for only 18 min and the 30 min additon for 42 minutes and assuming the end of boil and dryhops are as per recipe, then you will have around 85 IBU's!
Yes, I was supposed to put the flavoring hops in at 30 minutes and I put them in at 42 minutes. (thinking this may compensate for lost hops that came out with the grains at 42 minutes) Then I added the end hops at 2 minutes.

Noob question: what are IBU's and judging by the exclamation, im guessing 85 is high?

Thanks again everyone. The batch appears to have come out ok.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganm
Yes, I was supposed to put the flavoring hops in at 30 minutes and I put them in at 42 minutes. (thinking this may compensate for lost hops that came out with the grains at 42 minutes) Then I added the end hops at 2 minutes.

Noob question: what are IBU's and judging by the exclamation, im guessing 85 is high?

Thanks again everyone. The batch appears to have come out ok.
Here is the wiki definition/explanation of IBU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bitterness_Units_scale

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Tankard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I won't ask
Hah! I wish I had a funny and hilarious story for it. I transported my full carboy into the garage with the airlock on, and it was filled to the brim with vodka. When I got there, it was almost all gone. LOL, I guess it is kind of funny in a n00b'ish way. I won't make that mistake again.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
BryanZ
Recipes 

I am planning on screwing up on purpose on my next few batches, just so I can see how different things effect the taste of the beer.

I'm going to write down what I did wrong and what I did or didn't like about it, and eventually just take what I learn and make a super beer.

Quick Reply