Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I messed up my brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
willywonkaou812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I think I messed up my brew.

Hello all,
I transferred my beer from the primary to the secondary but the syphon didnt work very well and I got some air bubbles into the carboy. I think that the hose was too big for the auto syphon and drew in some air. Going to get a better fitting tube for next time. Sheez.
Now I am concerned about this and wondering if I have contaminated the batch of beer. There's not much I can do about it now but wondering if any body else has had this problem and was still successful?

Thanks,

PS its a Coopers English Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wish I could help. But I am new also.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

this has happened to all of us one time or another. Most likly you would have oxidised your beer rather than contaminated it as its fairly difficult to contaminate a fermented beer. Relax and wait until its bottled and tasted because theres absolutly nothing you can do until then.
-Cheers

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

You're fine, don't worry. Its generally a good idea to avoid introducing air to beer after fermentation, but it's not like air will immediately putrify your brew. If you're worried about oxidation, this is not enough to matter (especially if you don't plan to age this thing for a half-decade before drinking). If you're worried about infection, a fermented beer has enough alcohol in it to protect it reasonably well against a random dust mote or two.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Correct - a few bubbles are not going to destroy your beer. We have indeed all done this at one point or another, but RDWHAHB, it's going to be fine...

Quick Reply