New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I messed up...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
tojo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default I think I messed up...

Well I am new to homebrewing and did my first batch last week with the help of a friend who is already doing his own brews. I wanted to get one done on my own so I purchased a NB Winter Warmer to try out.

Well all went well in the beginning. I followed the instructions and then.......I got a bit ahead of myself. After steeping the grains, I immediately added the liquid malt before coming to a boil. My question to you all did this newbie screw the pooch on this one? Will I end up getting some awful swill because the malt will burn?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
floyd242
Recipes 

As long as you stirred it up good and it didn't scorch the bottom of your pot you should be fine. It's a good idea to take the pot off the heat while you add the extract and stir it, then bring it back to a boil so you don't get any scorching.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
frazier
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No worries, you're fine. In the future, turn the flame off as you stir the extract in. This will avoid scorching. Then bump the flame and bring to a boil.

At worst, you have some dark marks on the bottom of your kettle. But you still have beer.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 12-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Docjowles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah it will be fine. Probably darker and with a SMALL amount of flavor somewhere between brown sugar and burned sugar but nothing to worry about.

RDWHAHB etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This won't be the last time you think you screwed up your beer. I think that with almost every batch and they all turn out great! I think you really have to try, or really deviate from the recipe to get poor results.

Thanks for the input

Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks all for the input. I did have a small scorch on the bottom of the kettle. It was about 4inches in diameter. The smell/color/taste didn't seem to be too bad. I dipped the tip of my finger in the sample after I took my OG. Oh well, fingers crossed and we will see what happens as time goes on.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been able to smell the burn in mine during the boil and it still had no effect on the flavor later. You will be just fine.

J Crunch

Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
dvdanny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
Well I am new to homebrewing and did my first batch last week with the help of a friend who is already doing his own brews. I wanted to get one done on my own so I purchased a NB Winter Warmer to try out.

Well all went well in the beginning. I followed the instructions and then.......I got a bit ahead of myself. After steeping the grains, I immediately added the liquid malt before coming to a boil. My question to you all did this newbie screw the pooch on this one? Will I end up getting some awful swill because the malt will burn?
I do that all the time and I've never had bad beer.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the future you might want to add your extract more towards the end of the boil. Your beers will turn out lighter and there will be less carmelization. Your current brew will be fine though.

Quick Reply