*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I may have pitched my yeast too cold, what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
jthulin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I think I may have pitched my yeast too cold, what should I do?

Last night I tried a new method of cooling my wort and it was more efficeint than I had anticipated... my wort was at 59 degrees farenheight when I pitched the yeast. I was using safale US-05 dry ale yeast, that was about 8 hours ago and now the temp in the fermenter is about 65 degrees. No bubbles in airlock yet, but that's not surprising to me given the short amount of time that it's been.
Should I be worried that the temp being too cold at the start harmed the yeast to the point that fermentation won't start? Has anyone else on here made this mistake and if so how did things turn out for you? Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't worry, that's actually perfect. You want to pitch the yeast a couple degrees cooler than you're going to ferment if you can. You didn't hurt the yeast at all. In fact I bet that beer is going to turn out great!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthulin View Post
Last night I tried a new method of cooling my wort and it was more efficeint than I had anticipated... my wort was at 59 degrees farenheight when I pitched the yeast. I was using safale US-05 dry ale yeast, that was about 8 hours ago and now the temp in the fermenter is about 65 degrees. No bubbles in airlock yet, but that's not surprising to me given the short amount of time that it's been.
Should I be worried that the temp being too cold at the start harmed the yeast to the point that fermentation won't start? Has anyone else on here made this mistake and if so how did things turn out for you? Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
It should be fine. Did you rehydrate the yeast? Did you use more than one pack? It may start slow, but US-05 is pretty reliable.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You're fine. I have done this in the past before I started using a digital thermometer with alarm while chilling (it's a great little investment) in the winter. Tap water in Wisconsin can get a little chilly this time of year.

That being said, never panic. Just be patient and wait 24 hours. You should be just fine as the temperature range of S-05 is 59-75F as seen here:
http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/E...e_US-05_HB.pdf

Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
richc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest going and drinking a beer and not worrying about it for at least another 12 hours, if not 24.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't think you pitched too cold. Once it warms up the yeast will wake up. I just made an ipa with us-05. My closet that I keep the fermenter in is 58. It did take almost 2 days before I saw activity at that temp. After 2 weeks I warmed it up for the last 2 days to about 70 and got it down to 1.010.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you pitch the yeast onto a block of ice? No? Then you're fine.

A watched carboy never kreusens, like the old saying goes.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
jthulin
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, seems like I should be ok. The only thing I'm left a little concerned about is that I didn't do a starter but just sprinkled the yeast directly into the wort which is fine at higher temps but maybe not at 59 degrees?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Thanks everyone, seems like I should be ok. The only thing I'm left a little concerned about is that I didn't do a starter but just sprinkled the yeast directly into the wort which is fine at higher temps but maybe not at 59 degrees?
No need to make a starter with dry yeast. You can sprinkle it into a glass of water first to rehydrate it though. 59 should be fine for US-05.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Don't worry, you'll be fine. It might take a little longer than normal for the fermentation to really get going, but don't fret over it.

Quick Reply